Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / An old farmhouse remodel
Don_P
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 00:08 - Edited by: Don_P

Attached are a few pics of the job I've been working on. In the firste shot You're looking at the backside up the trench we dug to allow us to get a bobcat under and dig out a full basement. This is the third foundation under it. Third roof from what I can tell for that matter.

Next shot shows the angled dormer at the top of the stairs inside. It created a nice area there and harkens back to some of the older victorians scattered around here.

Last 2 shots are at lunch first, metal is off exposing the oak skip sheathing. By the end of the day we covered that with 5/8 osb and then Titanium synthetic tarpaper
cavey8.27.2015_003.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_003.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_004.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_004.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_006.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_006.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_009.J.jpg
cavey8.27.2015_009.J.jpg

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 01:09

Approximately when was it first built?

Close to being completed now?

Don_P
# Posted: 28 Aug 2015 19:39

It was built in the late 1920's, we found some mortage reciepts in the wall from the '30's from the local bank that is still here.

Hard to say on completion. It's being done on cash flow and I'm moving out of mostly labor to do the foundation into more materials plus labor as we work above. He is quite capable of finishing once I hand him a sound structure so they will need to find that happy point where working on it themselves makes more sense than working somewhere and paying me to work on it.

There are 14 pier footings for the wrap around porch and then building that. Those footings will range from 7' deep, near the current basement excavation, and then they will step up to our 2' frost depth as we move away from the dig. Still several more sections of wall pour to finish. I figure those are all mine I'll order main house roof metal next week. Realistically I'm probably there till the outside looks done and then intermittently on the interior.

I looked at a neat old ~1920's house today. Well back in on an old road, 4wd and finally walked the last bit. It's an old Sears house, one of the nicer ones. A 4 square arts and crafts 2 story with dormers popped out of the hips above that. Leaded glass at the tops of a number of windows and large old wavy plate glass picture windows in living and dining rooms. White oak trim and some nice built ins, it is right out of a Stickley planbook. The family just wanted an opinion, I'd sure try to save it if it were mine. They have scattered though, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile. I'm glad I don't have to make the hard decisions

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.