Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Keeping the underside of cabin free of vermin
CanadianNorth
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 19:57 - Edited by: CanadianNorth

How do you seal the perimeter of your cabin to keep the underside of your cabin free from from vermin, ants, pests, etc?

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 20:53

Assuming cabin on piers - if you seal the perimeter of the underside, you invite mold growth in dark, damp conditions. Can you post some pictures of the perimeter and underside?

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Aug 2015 23:38

If the cabin is already built tell us more about what we are talking about. If not built yet tell us more about what is envisioned.

CanadianNorth
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 08:06

Quoting: MtnDon
If the cabin is already built tell us more about what we are talking about. If not built yet tell us more about what is envisioned.

I'm in the planning stages. I have a lot of ideas but one thing is certain - whatever I build will be small and under 800 square feet. And I want to move into it permanently.

I've been tickled by a few small A-frames on this site, for they are easy and inexpensive to build. But I see how these would be difficult to seal against pests.

My site has ideal soil conditions for building- sand and gravel. So I thought of laying down PWF timbers around the perimeter and down the middle as a footing, and then build in allowances for the doors and windows, should the building shift/move a little. I'm not crazy about slab on grade foundations, for I want access to the plumbing. And I want to avoid piers if I can.

old243
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 09:13

Canadian, Our hunt camp is on piers. With crawl access. We were having problems with porcupines , chewing on the underside of our plywood floors, they love plywood. We put 2 inches of rigid pink Styrofoam . Held in place with 1x2 strips. We then tacked used roofing steel , to the entire underside. This has worked well, think it is better than batt insulation. As there is less places for the mice and critters to live. Depending what your plans, budget and access is , a block foundation, might be a good option. You would have a basement, for access to plumbing , storage etc Have fun with your project. Old243

Don_P
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 09:40

I keep the crawlspace door closed. Plumbing lives down there, it was easy to pull a new wire across under the building last week. I poured a thin rat slab over plastic and gravel with a drain under there to seal it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Aug 2015 21:26

Full footing/stemwall foundation. Crawlspace door inside building too. So I now have nice dry secure storage too.

100% effective so far. I dont even get bugs in my place, Caulking and tight fitting limber is key there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.