Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hello Green, goodbye Yellow
Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 11:18 - Edited by: Gary O

So I finally had to let go of old yeller.
Been a loyal tool.
Been a great forearm workout.
Survived more than one trip from three floors up.
Started sticking in the on position.
All three bats last about 10 minutes now.

Shopped.
Got this little Ryobi sweetie.

Fifty bucks at HD.
Couldn't resist.
That's throw away (HFT) prices.
Only thing, in my glee, I didn't see that there was only one bat in the kit.
Bats are forty bucks.

Gonna use and abuse it for the rest of these warm days.

My only questions on these lithium bats;
Can you just leave 'em in the charger?
Is it OK to let them sit in the sun?
(the manual lacks this info)

Just
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 11:42

We leave our Ryobi string trimmer with lithium batteries plugged in .. Been 2 years sill works great . It charges up from dead in 30 min. I would by another when my old yeller dyes .

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 13:19

Garry, maybe you should of grabbed you a new sawhorse while you was in HD too. That thing you have looks like its ready for the burn wood pile.

The Li batteries are much better. Was your Dewalt a NiCad?

creeky
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 14:07

lithiums don't really decay charge wize. so you're probably better off not leaving them plugged in. sort of a just in case thing.

all the no need to grease tools use plastic instead. i think we all know what happens with heat and plastic. the batteries are the weak link, but heating your battery and plastic tools in the sun on a hot day. it ain't gonna do anything any good.

my neighbor has the ribbet green tools. he luvs em.

razmichael
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 15:05

Gary, if your going to go any brad nailing get the Ryobi 18V nailer
Ryobi Brad Nailer

I think I've put 4-5 thousand nails through mine with only a handful of misfires. Takes up to 2" 18g nails and powers them through everything.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 20:11

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Garry, maybe you should of grabbed you a new sawhorse while you was in HD too. That thing you have looks like its ready for the burn wood pile. The Li batteries are much better. Was your Dewalt a NiCad?

gonna ride those hosses 'til they can't, then copy the pattern...great design (from a friend).

Y'know, I didn't look to see if they are...were NiCad. S'pose they were. Had 'em for seems over ten years. Got generic bats when one give out. Those turned out to be not worth the savings.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 20:19

Quoting: creeky
lithiums don't really decay charge wize. so you're probably better off not leaving them plugged in. sort of a just in case thing.

I must be loosing my reasoning powers this afternoon. That sentence seems converse.

I know I was told my yellow ones could sit in the charger forever...and they did, for many years.

I was also told to keep them out of the sun...'kills 'em.

Not sure about Ni bats

Need some help here.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 20:22

Quoting: razmichael
Gary, if your going to go any brad nailing get the Ryobi 18V nailer

I'm not a big Ryobi fan, but becoming one. We'll see.
I have a brad nailer I haven't used since doing finish work on an old house, and have an air driven 18g stapler that I use and abuse daily.
Gettin' tired of the hoses and running the genny though.
In your opine, do the cordless ones drive as hard as the air driven?

razmichael
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 20:40

I don't think Ryobi are the best but they are great value for money IMO. I also like that they keep everything backwards and forwards compatible. I have a 15 year old drill that just runs better using the "new" Li batteries plus I can use the really old batteries in the new tools (less power but work fine) - I'm talking all the same 18V stuff.

I have rarely used any other brad nailer so I cannot compare. I have had no problem driving 2" brads into anything with the Ryobi. The ease of simply slapping a battery in and nailing is great. They often have them set up at HD to test drive.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 21:06

Quoting: razmichael
The ease of simply slapping a battery in and nailing is great

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 22:34

Quoting: Gary O
Y'know, I didn't look to see if they are...were NiCad. S'pose they were. Had 'em for seems over ten years. Got generic bats when one give out. Those turned out to be not worth the savings.

Its critical. Because the chargers are different if its a Lithium Ion, Nickel Metal Hydride or Ni Cad batteries.

Li Ion is the top deal now. I bet your new rig is the Lithium Ion unit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 22:37

Homer Simpson drools also.
Mmm.jpg
Mmm.jpg

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Sep 2015 22:46

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I bet your new rig is the Lithium Ion unit

Yes, definitely.

sorry I wasn't clear before

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-12-Volt-Cordless-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Driver-Kit-HJP004 /205152814

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 00:09 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Gary, I have a 3/8" cordless impact pistol I use at work and its Lithium Ion. Battery last me a week, charges up fully in 45 minutes, doesnt get the memory and after about 2 years like the nicads do, I have to "refresh" the battery. There is a button on the charger that says "refresh" and it takes about 18 hours. I do that every 2 years. I still have my original battery, and its 5+ years old and have a second battery so when its dead, I click in the new one, go back to work and dead unit is charging. Lithium Ion is the shizzle.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Sep 2015 05:46

wunnerful

thnx T

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.