Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Insurance for your cabin or storage unit
<< . 1 . 2 .
thayer187
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 08:21

i am in NY what company did you find for insurance

bobrok
# Posted: 2 Oct 2011 17:21

Lou,
I found insurance for my camp no problem. E-mail me offgridfanatgmaildotcom or give me a call for info. Will be up at my camp at South Mud Pond in a couple of weeks. Will look you up.
Bob

LakeSuperior5
# Posted: 18 Oct 2011 15:41

Ok, it has been confusing on "what" we really have but:
All my insurance is issued by Met Life (home, car, umbrella etc)
Because of this, they were able to add it as a "manual manuscript endorsement". I have no idea what that means except they verified I have the same liability and coverage for damages as our home.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 10 Nov 2011 22:43

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Ok, found a source for cabin insurance. I'm going to request a quote.

http://www.amig.com/seasonal_home.html

@toyota_mdt_tech... how did this work out for you? Did you ever get a quote?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 08:52

Yes, was almost $500 a year. Seems awful steep to me. I was going to keep looking.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 12:38

Log cabin in Canada,off grid in a remote area=$1,600.00 per year. It's a lot and we were lucky to find a company to insure us. It is worth the peace of mind to know that our cabin,contents,land and biggest asset are insured.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 14:13

Wow, mine may not be as spendy as I thought.

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Nov 2011 16:50

I have a feeling that this is different in every US state and Canadian province and you need to use due diligence to find out what coverage exists in your area.
I am in NYS and I didn't have a problem finding coverage. I have a policy through a local cooperative insurance company and I purchased it from the same agent who handles my home, vehicles, etc.
I have a $35000 liability limit for fire and wind on the structure, $3500 on related structures, $17500 on personal property, and I pay $278/year with a $250 deductible
It is insured as a seasonal use structure and the agent is aware that we are off road, off grid, and behind a locked gate.

justincasei812
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 13:42

I know in Michigan you can get insurance for a cabin but there are a few stipulations. If it is assessed under 100k then they will not guarantee to rebuild it if something happens. If it if is over that threshold then they will rebuild. Mine was added to my home owner's policy and was pretty reasonable. I fell just under the 100k but they bumped it up since it had been remodeled in the past 6 yrs. They will not insure the land around it. So if there is a fire and the cabin and trees burn only the cabin is covered.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 11 Jan 2012 13:49

No land coverage here. Cannot imagine anyone but Lloyd's would do that.
We have coverage through, I believe, Dairyland, on our cabins. It is just over $1000 per year. I want to say $85k on the A-frame, and $45-50k on the bunkhouse. Personal property is included, solar, gen, etc. I am not able to use my homeowners as the cabin is in a different state than my residence. State Farm, who is my primary carrier on everything, wouldn't touch it even locally, as there is no fire district set up.
I am not covered for snowload or water damage, but with the A-frame, and the similar pitch on the bunkhouse, we are good there.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.