Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin to Cabin Communication
OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 29 Oct 2015 22:04 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

So, I don't get cell phone reception anywhere near my cabin, and I'm kinda down in a valley between two mountain ranges.Nearest cell phone reception is about a 25 mile drive South.

So I've been wondering about communication between me and the world, just in case.

In most of my reading on prepper sites, etc I found out that cell phones will be useless in a big catastrophic event anyway. Towers would be overloaded with callers and like in Katrina 80% would be down for days, even weeks.

CB radios are used in some cabins and I've seen them hooked up to a car battery in a few cabins around here. Problem is that they are only good for a mile or so.

And forget walky talkies. I have a set that works about 1 mile if I'm up top and can only talk with someone who has the other radio that came with the set.

So that leaves what I now consider the best alternative, a portable hand held, Ham Radio.

Ham radios work off of repeaters which are antennas all over the world (there are hundreds in my state alone) and a small 2 meter handheld will probably get me all over new england with no problem.

The word is, in a big catastrophic event, even a nuclear emt blast or a asteroid, the ham radio will still work and covers frequencies including weather, military, coastguard, government, etc.

Besides all that though I'd like to start communicating with other cabin owners around the northeast just in case we need to suddenly get together for beers and burgers.

Anyway. Think I'll go with this one and a homemade antenna in a 60' pine tree next to the cabin.

https://youtu.be/jmOfkdhJL1U]URL

http://www.aesham.com/2m-144-mhz/icom-ic-v80-sport/]URL

Anyone else have a better idea I'm all ears.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 10:11

VHF is far better. May, or may not, require an amateur radio license. It is good to ~25 miles through forest, likely a lot longer with a clear path. CB is utter garbage compared to VHF... I would strongly encourage looking into it.

Here's an interesting article from a 4x4 club in British Columbia about VHF - interesting read: http://bc4x4.com/features/2010/vhf/

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 10:20 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

MURS frequency, its 5 VHF FM channels. No license required. But like all no license radios, not much power. Spendy radios too.

We had the forest fire and a local member lost communications (we have great cell service because of altitude) but the fire below and burnt up the fiber optics and power wires shutting down all cell in the area.

A local member had approached me and knew I was a ham radio operator, asked me what it takes. I told him if he was willing, I'd walk him right through it, start to holding license in his hand. He started my 5 step program and is test ready which will be on the 14th of Nov. This is level 1 or Technician class license. This will give him all ham freq from 50Mhz and upward. We have a repeater right near the area, in fact, many of them. A single repeater on a mountain top can increase range by 60 miles or more, easily. If there is link repeaters, much further.

My neighbor over at the cabin will take his General class Dec 14th. This will give him all the HF bands which means talk worldwide with 100 watts and under.

I bring my Yaesu FT857D (MF+HF+VHF+UHF) with me every time I go and set up my HF station and rag chew with my wood rat buddies in the evenings.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 10:31 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

For a ham license, go to http://www.hamtestonline.com give it 1 hour minimum a day, you will be test ready in 3 weeks.

For repeaters in your area, use: http://www.repeaterbook.com. 2 meters VHF is the real workhorse band in the Technician class range, has the most repeaters/network in place too.

When you are ready to take a test, enter your zip code at:
http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Good luck. Feel free to ask me any questions here. I have mentored and elmered a dozen or more into getting their license including my 11 yr old grandson who went from no license to general in 60 days. He is 13 now.

I have a much faster easier way to get through the hamtestonline course, I have it refined down to an art.

I am a license extra class ham, had had my license for about 23 years now.

We actually have many hams in here right now.

NorthRick
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 12:34

Quoting: OutdoorFanatic
Besides all that though I'd like to start communicating with other cabin owners around the northeast just in case we need to suddenly get together for beers and burgers.

Seems to me, if you want to communicate with your neighbors, you should find out what they are using. Doesn't do any good to be all set up with X if everyone else is using Y.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 15:43

I wouldn't worry about what the neighbors are using. Trying to get even a few on board is like trying to herd un-neutered male cats. Just get the ham ticket, be done. If SHTF, you can communicate. If they want to get their ham ticket, great. If not, they can send emergency traffic through you. (google radiogram)

Coastal
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 15:49

If you want something that is a bit more of a sure thing that someone will come help if you slice your femoral artery with the chainsaw while alone in the bush. Look into a 2 way satellite device. I have a Delorme inreach and take it hiking or camping when I'm out of cell range. Good piece of mind.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 20:46

Yeah, a ham radio in 2m band will need at least a technicians license but I read that it can be had with about 10 hours of study.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 20:53 - Edited by: OutdoorFanatic

Thanks much for the links, and info. I am brand new at this and have a million questions. Right now I'm just looking to get out 50 - 60 miles but can see myself studying at the cabin to get the next level ham license.

Gets pretty lonely with just me and the two dogs down on that dark trail. (its a hike in cabin) Theres another cabin about a mile and a half from me and I've met and talked with the owner but havent mentioned radio coms yet.

Figure I will try to get something started once I get set up. May even put some ads in the local paper for cabin owners.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 20:56

Thanks Coastal, I'm going to google that. I have no idea what it is.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 30 Oct 2015 21:01

Hello NorthRick! Yeah, figured that it will be a slow start. But if I put some ads around the state for other cabin owners maybe a few will feel like spending the $200 bucks or so to form some sort of com net.

Just a thought. I've had many ideas that didn't fly so if this one doesn't, thats ok too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.