Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Sunrise Log Cabins
deercula
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 01:00

Has anyone ever seen one of these Sunrise Log Cabins? Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://waysidelawnstructures.com/log-cabins/

http://www.flipsnack.com/5FB86B97C6F/sunrise-log-cabins-catalog.html

Don_P
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 06:27

The logs look to be 4x6 and 6x6, a "standard" milled log home log is usually a 6x8 or 8x8. The roof is the thinnest metal, the optional roof insulation is 2" of foam. It won't be winter worthy. Looks to be in the same vein as the KOA Kamping Kabins.

deercula
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 08:13

Hey Don, thanks for your input! So even with a direct vent 30,000 BTU propane heater, you don't think this will get and stay warm? Is the R value of 4X6 logs that low? Would not plan to use this all winter, but well into the fall on weekends. Here in S.W. NY that means below freeze at night but not sub-zero. I did add in the cost of insulating the floor and roof in my estimate. One dealer of these claims they are comfortable with a pellet stove.

Don_P
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 08:23

Wood has an R value of around R1 per inch, so call the wall R4, the thermal mass claims of log homes starts to kick in at about 8"+ of log thickness, so no benefit from mass. The roof has 2" of foam, maybe R12. Standard windows are single pane. I've kept a tent warm but it isn't the best way to keep warm.

For the money I'd explore standard construction and log siding as well to see how it compares.

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 08:47

OUCH, just saw the prices @ Wayside. Don_P makes a good point, especially when considering value per dollar.

deercula
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 08:59

OK. Thanks guys. I did figure in the optional insulated windows as part of the cost. My 40 acres is in Amish country. I have a recommended Amish builder that I am going to get an estimate from. Either way I will be shelling out for insulated floors, roof, windows. I know what you mean Steve, delivery alone would be about $1,700. I just love the look of log but I'm not sure it is worth the money. At this point I have more cash than time, and I am not Bob Villa, so I really want something that is "turn-key". Have you ever seen the vinyl or steel log siding on the market?

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 09:33

Well, I'm in logging country, mostly Pines (Red & White) and Eastern White Cedar... Tin & Vinyl log around here would be in essence, heresy !

Board & Batten or Board & Board siding is very common around here followed quickly by Live Edge Lap Siding and of course serious log homes and quite a few Stackwall / Cordwood buildings (some dating back over 100 years +). Log Style siding is quite readily available as well but it's not quite the same as full log but looks good and with proper treating can last a very long time.

Honestly, you best bet would be the Amish (we have a lot of them moving up here now) from places like Pennsylvania and points where they are selling off their lands and getting away from the industrialization. Sure is nice to have these folks arriving here now, industrious and hard working, making quality goods at reasonable prices.

A Local Amish fellow (formerly of New England) has started building sheds & cabins with lumber he's taking from his farm lands, 10x12, 8' walls, 4x6 walls with 4' between studs and x braced on 6x6 skids & 2" Plank floors, Board & Board siding for $1500 (with 2 basic windows & 1 basic door) stained & tin roofed.

Don't rush to buy, look around, talk to neighbours and read the local papers & trader type magazines for our area... even Craigslist.

Also have a peek at Jamaica Cottage Shop for their designs and look at the methods of how they build the wall structures... Some Good Photo's & Info about setting up pads etc there too. The prices are there for a guide point as well... May be out of your budget BUT these guys are selling en-masse but a local Amish Builder could replicate any of that in a blink for far less !

You haven't said where you are but do seriously consider decent insulation which helps you not only in summer but in cooler times too... There may come a time when you will want to spend more time at "the retreat" than anywhere else so thinking ahead a bit is wise, especially in times of uncertainty. Remember the old adage, an ounce of prevention (thinking ahead) is worth a pound of cure (trying to adapt & retrofit)... in this case.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 15:06

Another aspect of log construction to consider is getting your plumbing and electrical in- I don't know but I guess they just offer you the shell building, then you get to figure out where and how to run wires and pipes. It's harder than with frame construction but do-able.

I agree- have the Amish build for you.

rmak
# Posted: 25 Nov 2015 16:13

We were in mid-Ohio Amish country and stopped to see a log cabin dealer with some sample cabin/homes. We looked at a real nice 14 X 20 one that "started" at around 6 grand. Basically that got you a shell on their site. Moving it, finished the inside, rough electric, insulation, added dormers, porch etc. etc. that looked like the model and we would be around $50,000. That price would get you the cabin to be put on your foundation and basement/crawl space waiting for electric, water, plumbing, heat and septic (all at your additional cost)...If you had the land purchased already.

I guess I'm saying that the starting price means very little if anything.

deercula
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 12:41

Great feedback! Thanks to all for a different perspective. I guess my first post should have had more info about my wants and needs. My 40 acres is in S.W. NY, Chautauqua County. By code I am limited to 500 sq. ft., a "seasonal hunting cabin". Off grid, no water, electric, or septic. We would use this weekends, 8 or 9 months a year. Not in the dead of winter. The largest cabin that can be delivered is 12 X 32. I priced one out with alot of options and delivery for under $25k. Including 6 insulated windows, insulated floor and roof, bunks and loft, lots of cabinets, drawers and 10 ft. of counters, sink, porch and railing, gutters and downspouts, and a few other misc. items. A friend that does concrete work on the side says I should be able to put it on piers or a slab for $2K. A 30,000 BTU direct vent propane heater for $600-800 for heat. Some 12 volt, and propane lights, and a few other interior furnishings would get me where I want to be. For under 30 grand, with little labor by me, doesn't seem outrageous to me. I've been using a camping trailer for a few years now and we want a bit more floor space, and a more permanent feel. My plan is to show the Amish builder what I can get for my money by having a pre-fab brought in, and see what he can offer for less or the same price. This is my first cabin build, so I do not have any experiance with this. Hopefully the Amish will have some good ideas and suggestions that will save me cash on the build, and help keep the opperating and maintenance cost down. Keep your ideas and opinions coming, they are most helpful!

Don_P
# Posted: 27 Nov 2015 17:52 - Edited by: Don_P

Just something else to throw in, NY has native lumber laws and you have 40 acres. The wood can come from the property.

Is there a reason to show the other builder the first bid?

deercula
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 08:54

I've not heard of this "law". What does it do, save money on sales tax? I thought i would show him the estimate from Wayside so he knows what he has to beat. Maybe I will take your advice and keep this private.

Photos of Sunrise cabin on craigslist:

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/grq/5272593345.html

cspot
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 09:57

I wouldn't show the other builder the first bid. When you show a contractor a price then you can almost guarantee that his price will close to that. Just give him an idea of what you are looking for and see what he comes up with. He may be alot cheaper. Also get prices from several builders as there is typically a wide range in costs. Also even though some may not be in your price range they may give you some different ideas that you may want to incorporate. Like some others were saying make sure you get some specifics of what they are including so that you compare apples to apples.

cspot
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 10:10

Not sure where you are located, but here is a place I have saved for my favorites as potential cabins when I find the right property. Don't know anything about them, but this may give you an idea. Here is one that has some options, but you could finish on the inside.

http://www.storageshedspa.com/sheds/cape-cod-style-sheds/12-x-32-cape-cod-cabin-board -batten

Here is a bigger one with a loft.

http://www.storageshedspa.com/sheds/structures/14-x-28-two-story-recreational-get-awa y-cabin

Don_P
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 10:24 - Edited by: Don_P

I would allow him to develop an independent bid in the first conversation.

The native lumber laws enacted by some states allow you to use ungraded lumber to build with.

This link is to a decision this year in NY preserving the native lumber law which allows one to use local ungraded lumber (building official's option, ask nicely). So, another option is to build using local wood, or bring in a bandsawyer and use your trees.

http://nyfb.org/resources/NYFB_Praises_Rough_Cut_Lumber_Decision_749_resource.htm

This law was first passed in '02 but was apparently jeopardized this year by the building officials who failed in their attempt to repeal it. Keep your eyes open, pitchforks and torches always at the ready...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.