Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ok...So I'm a bit confused about the difference between a cabin and a house
OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 19:12

I see a lot of pictures here of what I would consider a house and not a small cabin.
I mean, a 24x24 structure on a full concrete foundation with a huge deck and a lawn to me is a small house, not a cabin

A cabin as I see one is this.
noun. A small shelter or house, made of wood and situated in a wild or remote area.
Thats straight from Wiki.

Maybe to some, its a cabin if it's made of logs. But years ago we built several 5000sf "Log Houses" and no one ever referred to them as a "Cabin."

So just to get some input, and I mean no disrespect. In fact I like looking at the pictures of the small houses too.

But can someone draw me the line between a "small cabin" and a "small house?"

FishHog
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 19:19

there is no defined line. Its a personal thing. I'm along your line of thinking. My old cabin was about 300 ft2, new one feels like a castle at 650 ft2. We actually have separate bedrooms in this one. Must admit, with 5 guys up for deer season, the larger cabin was much more comfortable.

But who cares. To each their own. A cabin/camp/cottage, is the place you go to get away from it all. its not about size.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 19:44

Now add "cottage" to further confuse things.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 20:00

or as they say up in the Great North Woods....

a "CAMP"

let's go "UPTA CAMP"

saw camps from 10' x 10' to 3500 sq ft.

AK Seabee
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 21:47

To me, the cabin is a place to get away. Friends have cabins larger than my house, still a cabin......

Some may consider my cabin large (18x24 with two 18x8 bedrooms in the loft). To my family it is adequate. not too large and not too small. It was built off grid and off the road system. By no means would anyone consider it a house.

A neighbor has a12x16 and considers it perfect. Another neighbor or has a10x12 and it is perfect for them. The point is, do what makes you happy.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Nov 2015 22:43

We used to call our place a cabin. It was 550 sq. ft., built in 1912 and made of wood. When we moved into it full time we began referring to it as our house. It is the same building, but because we live here all the time it has morphed (name wise) into our house but it is still our cabin.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 13:21

I have gave this much thought. Here's my opinion. A house is built to please the government. A cabin is built to please yourself. Simple.

Salty Craig

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 13:37

I'm with Salty on this (yer meat grinder is on order)

Salty Craig
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 14:08

Gary O
Oh joy!!

NorthRick
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 15:25

Although not always apparent from the outside, to me, a house has flush toilets and a cabin does not. Size doesn't matter.

Wilbour
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 16:53

Quoting: NorthRick
Size doesn't matter.

That's what the guys with little ones say

Sorry, could not resist

NorthRick
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 18:32 - Edited by: NorthRick

Quoting: Wilbour

I never said how big mine was.

OutdoorFanatic
# Posted: 29 Nov 2015 18:39

Quoting: Wilbour

Sorry, could not resist

Driving TT one night years ago I heard a driver on the CB ask, "Hey Northbound, hows it look over your shoulder. (meaning, did you see any cops behind you)

A northbound driver came back and said, " I don't know, I've never been able to get it up over my shoulder."

I've been laughing at that for 20 years now.

gsreimers
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 20:25

Easy, the cabin is where I am when I am not at home.

Salty Craig
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 20:36

gsreimers
Good one!!!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 20:45

We had to build a 1000 sq ft cabin...or nothing at all and let the dream die (bylaws in Ontario). Regardless of size, "Cabin" to me is a state of mind. When I'm there, I'm at peace and have the time to count my many blessings and realize how fortunate we are. Life...thankfully...is forced to slow down. I sure won't get a big buck staring at me on the other side of my outhouse in the suburbs!!
Cheers!

Don_P
# Posted: 30 Nov 2015 21:23

I'd say just double check how it looks over your shoulder, kick the door open and let fly... the neighbors will understand.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.