Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Ever since we moved into the cabin full time...
<< . 1 . 2 .
RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 05:51

Bzzzzt....

The newer iphones all have "hotspot" functionality, so you dont have to buy a separate hotspot device (and a separate data plan).

At our cabin we have a cell phone data booster... and an antenna on the roof, which makes our bars (signal reception) go up!

With the booster, I regularly get 3G, and occasionally 4G signal.

It's not a replacement for Fios fiber optics to the house though... that's for sure.

creeky
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 09:49

The person who annoyed me the most when I moved off grid was my mom!

"Oh, it's just like when we were kids growing up on the farm." And then she'd tell some story about Grandma breaking ice in the sink to start breakfast.

Oh my word. My place has 24/7 heat. there's no ice breaking. I have hot water instantly. I'm using solar not mythic fairy dust.

My mom and her husband were astounded that I didn't have ... a toaster. The birds. Didn't care. The trees. Nope. Wildlife. Yawn. Where was the golf course they asked? You could build a putting green over there they suggested.

Living off grid has immense rewards well passed the financial freedom. But for folks with blinkers on. Sadly there are those who struggle with diversity of opinion and lifestyle.

Buzzzzt. Keep an ad in the local paper classifieds. The local store probably has a board you can put up an ad for a month. You might be surprised how many people are feuding with the local electrician after his nephew hurt the feelings of their cousin.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 10:30 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

Quoting: creeky
You might be surprised how many people are feuding with the local electrician after his nephew hurt the feelings of their cousin.

ROFL.

I have fliers and cards at everywhere I could find a place where its allowed to put them. I have what amounts to a business card in the newspaper but as soon as that expires in gonna try words only classified. I just did a nice job yesterday redoing the feed to a boat dock and the weather was perfect. Working on the lake with eagles flying over. I need about 2 or 3 of those kind if jobs a month and I'd be set!

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 10:36 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

Quoting: RichInTheUSA
The newer iphones

I won't buy ANYTHING Apple makes. Ever. I use straight talk phone service from wal mart and hit Verizon towers. I can pay for the phone service annually or monthly and it's MAX $45/MO for unlimited everything. The hot spot is basically $10/gig and it works better than using the phone as a hot spot because I can position it in the window and leave it there. So for 2 phones and a hot spot I'm paying about $100/mo give or take. Oh, and I LOVE my windows phones.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.