Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin or Cottage??
nathanprincipe
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 17:47

So my wife and I were talking about how we want to decorate our cabin once finished, and she said ( after doing some surfing on the web about the topic) "maybe we arent building a cabin, maybe its a cottage". I said, why would you call it a cottage? and she said "why would you call it a cabin?" and it was at that very moment I realized that I dont really know the difference between the two. When you research it on the internet you get alot of opinions, but no real fact or authority. So, what do you consider a "cabin" and a "cottage"?

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 18:57

One has two more letters than the other...............

OK, serious:

In my mind, the word 'cabin' gives me a rough hewn or rustic picture, where as the word 'cottage' gives me a quaint, multi-pane windowed, brightly painted tiny house picture.

Again, in my mind, a cabin should not be more than a two room affair, where as a cottage could be just two rooms, or even four (counting a couple bed rooms).

It's funny how linguists, and the masters of the English language have fiddled with it all in trying to keep up with how words are accepted in the present day.

For the longest time I considered a 'Bungalow' a cottage...until I saw how large a bungalow could be................

It'll be interesting to see feed back from everyone on this.

dabones
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 19:17

I also think that a small 1 or 2 room rustic dwelling would be called a cabin.. and a larger one, with 2 levels, or more rooms, or if you have a full kitchen and bathroom, then it's a cottage..

another thing to consider, is if you have it in the middle of the bush, it's a cabin, and if you have it on a lake with a bunch of other ppl's places, then it could be a cottage too..

Gary O
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 20:19

Another separating factor might be in decore, and what would enhance the structure.
I could see bear traps, snow shoes, or an old shot gun hung on a cabin wall, but not so much on a cottage wall...........

Rob_O
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 23:28

Quoting: Gary O
In my mind, the word 'cabin' gives me a rough hewn or rustic picture, where as the word 'cottage' gives me a quaint, multi-pane windowed, brightly painted tiny house picture.

This sums it up pretty well for me.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 23:37

Quoting: dabones
if you have it in the middle of the bush, it's a cabin, and if you have it on a lake with a bunch of other ppl's places, then it could be a cottage

This definition works for me.

MtnDon
# Posted: 22 Oct 2010 23:54 - Edited by: MtnDon

Yes, a cabin is in the trees, a cottage is at a lake community. Both are smallish.

But what about all the "camps" as may in the NE call their cabins/cottages?

nathanprincipe
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 00:12

This is interesting to hear other peoples input, I guess I had it in my mind that the style of the architecture played a part??? I also invision a "cottage" as being an english inspired design with window boxes, multi pane windows ( and a red door of coarse) not to mention a lush perennial garden surrounding the structure. A "cabin" to me is a more rustic approach nestled in a forest setting with less modern conveniences. I never took being on a lake into account tho. My property is in the woods, but in walking distance of the lake, so I guess that makes my structure a "cabbage"! :)

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 01:02

Very very intriguing.
A pure demonstration of linguistics, it's application, and why the medical field needs to use a dead language.
Maybe the term 'cabbage' has just had a re-birth into a brand new meaning.

All this time I thought I'd built a cabin by the lake a couple decades ago, but it was a cottage (?), but it was also in the trees....

All the while it was a CABBAGE!!!

Maybe my great grandchildren will tell their grandchildren about the term Cabbage, and how it was once used for an extict leafy vegetable, explaining the current term for any small dwelling as the 'Nathan Principle'

Can't wait to get back to the patch, peel back the entry, and leaf thru the books on a cold fall evening.
The again, our present cabbage is so small it would only classify as a Colewort...........

Sorry folks.....had a brief spurt of pseudo creativity....goin' ta bed now............

hattie
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 01:34

Geez Gary O...*scratching my head*...I never heard of a Colewort before and ya made me look it up. *S* Such an educational place this site. *S* You learn all kinds of new stuff. I'm going to bed....while Cabbages and Coleworts dance in my head...geez....

islandguy
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 12:54

The cabin or cottage debate.The cabbage. Thats kind of funny. Now read my first ever post on this site, under general category, titled "also building a cabin" (;-)

hattie
# Posted: 23 Oct 2010 13:10

Quoting: islandguy
The cabin or cottage debate.The cabbage. Thats kind of funny. Now read my first ever post on this site, under general category, titled "also building a cabin" (;-)

aha...so it would appear islandguy gets the award for first naming 'em "cabbages" way back in 2007. *S* I wonder if we can get "cabbage" redefined in the dictionary?

fasenuff
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 07:45

Ok, I guess cabbage would be the name if it leaned more towards the cabin with a bit of cottage flair. And I guess that would make it a cobin if it was a cottage with a touch of cabin. Lol.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 14:50

Found it.
I wanted to call it a cottage, my wife wants to call it a cabin, so we compromise: its the "cabbage"

Now to establish the CabinBuilder's complete unabridged dictionary/thesaurus..........

Cabin: small, roughly built house usually with a wood exterior and typically found in rural areas, also see Cabbage

Cottage: a modest dwelling, typically in a rural, or semi-rural location, also see Cabbage

Cabbage: Cabin/cottage structure by current definition (circa 2007). aka Cobin/Colewart

Thesaurus
Shed, shabin, Cramalot Inn......

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 15:41

Quoting: Gary O
Another separating factor might be in decore, and what would enhance the structure.
I could see bear traps, snow shoes, or an old shot gun hung on a cabin wall, but not so much on a cottage wall...........

But I could see a cottage on the beach, things like an old net and glass float balls, some old rope, old paddle, strange looking pieces of driftwood hung from a wall. When I visualize a cottage, I think of a small stone structure, while cabin, I think of wood.

Good question, who knows the real difference. There may not be a difference. They may be the same.

Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 21:19

OK, lets get serious.
We're all saying it, but the body of water issue has become a bit skewed.
dbones offered:
if you have it on a lake with a bunch of other ppl's places, then it could be a cottage too..

MtnDon opined:
Quoting: MtnDon
a cabin is in the trees, a cottage is at a lake community

But in my mind, I can't for the life of me, put a cottage at a lake. By the sea, yes.
Even mamby pamby Thoreau called his Walden refuge a cabin (...on the pond).

I think t-tech says it best;

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
I could see a cottage on the beach, things like an old net and glass float balls, some old rope, old paddle, strange looking pieces of driftwood hung from a wall

again dabones

if you have a full kitchen and bathroom, then it's a cottage

That really squares it for me.
If your poopin' outside, you've got a cabin.
If you're going to the oval office, newspaper in hand, you've got a cottage.

......yes I'm OCD.....somebody help me.....

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 21:21

remembering to sign in is my other pressing issue..now where's my newpaper.....

hattie
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 23:04 - Edited by: hattie

Cottages are by a lake...
We live in a cabin and we don't poop outside....Just 'cuz we have "indoor facilities" doesn't mean we don't live in a cabin. Geez our cabin F.R.E.D. (stands for Freakin' Ridiculous Economic Disaster) is very upset with you Gary O. F.R.E.D. says he's a cabin and has been since 1912. :-P

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 08:50

FRED! No need to get upsot over an ol' wood/word butcher's musings. Won't wantcha to blow a clogged flue or spring a leak in the thatch.
You can be a cabin, and if some ol' geezer says different, just consol with one of the motel units, maybe ETHEL (Every Thing Has Exceeded Lunacy) but not LUCY (Little Understanding Complete Year)....
Kriminee, I'm talking to 98 year old cabins now (and I don't even know him very well)...........
Better do something constructive now, 'cause I'm at work.
Gotta wordsmith something by noon today for a 25 year employee

Lets see lets see; 'One score and five years ago', no no,
'Why'd you stay so long?' yeah that's it
'Here's a watch, now eat your Happy Meal, you gotta get back to work'...done

hattie
# Posted: 26 Oct 2010 15:55 - Edited by: hattie

*ROTFL* hehehehehe...GREAT comeback Gary O. hehehehehe......I'll have to tell hubby about LUCY and ETHEL. *grin*

mmscomputerteac her
# Posted: 19 Feb 2012 02:17

We live in a small two bedroom dwelling in the middle of ten acres of hardwoods. We have a clearing in the front with a perennial garden and pond. The interior is tongue and groove knotty pine. Our private drive is 1/2 mile from the main road and is called Deer Haven Lane. So, we struggled with "cabin" and "cottage." I think we have settled on a combination we lovingly call our "cabbage." LOL

brokeneck
# Posted: 25 Feb 2012 20:01 - Edited by: brokeneck

Our first structure on our mountain land was about 900sf 2x4 construction 2 stories tall -- it's been called 'the cabin" ever since -- even now after a recent build that makes it close to 500sf.

I think cottage is not a widely used term here in Colorado. My little cabin is called many things -- the Beach-house -- since it's on the creek the - screen house- Bob's Playhouse Bob's Fort - camping cabin-yubin or the fishing shack -- I do love the term "camp" and might start calling it my camp ...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.