Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / For those living off-grid, if you had it to do over again, what would you do differently?
offgridliving
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 08:03

I bought land and jumped feet first into off-grid living almost 20 years ago. Although for most of my life, I have been an avid outdoorsman, hiking, camping, hunting, etc. and was raised on a farm where we were truly self-sufficient. Still, I made mistakes and look back and think of all the things I would have done differently. Such as:

1) I would have framed in a small shelter to live in initially while I built the log cabin, instead of living in a tent in bear country. This first shelter would have later used for storage or a workshop.
2) Learned a lot more about basic carpentry
3) Purchased a decent portable generator to help with construction instead of doing literally everything by hand
4) Rented equipment or hired someone to do major excavation work
5) Rented equipment to help with masonry work
6)Purchased a gas powered log splitter MUCH sooner
7) Learned alternative means of meat preservation such as smoking and salt curing
8) Learned a lot more about alternative energy sources.
9) Grown a brain and first figured out exactly what I was getting myself into.

These are just a few of the things I think about. Undoubtedly there are others who look back and think "Wow, I would have done that in a different way!""

Thoughts, comments, on your experiences. I would really be interested.

Cheers

beachman
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 09:51

BTDT. I started with a boathouse - 12x 17 (long enough to fit my canoes). I built it with a chainsaw, a level and hammer and nails and rough lumber. I have gone through all of the phases you have and have acquired various tools, generator, splitter, ect.. over the years. I was going to build my own place but hired knowledgeable builders to do this - thankfully as they did a great job and finished it years before I would have. I have since installed solar as I am off-grid and would have pre-wired the place had I known. This would have been much easier.

Because the place is so remote, I have had to learn basically everything myself and do a lot of lugging. Solar is getting better and better and if you have to be off the grid - there are so many more things today to make this very possible. I have a water system that should work great when I get it all hooked up next summer. Everything takes time and the winter can wreak havoc if you do not prepare for it.

Doing it over, I would have built my 500sf place to add one more bedroom - even roughed in for interior completion later. I still have much to learn. It is fortunate that we do not "grow brains" earlier as nothing would ever be ventured.

rayyy
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 16:49

I would have paid a lot more attention to getting the insulation blown down into my wall cavities.I have discovered that I left several voids in the walls from moving along to quickly.I also would have put my water storage tank inside instead of trying to keep it outside on the porch.I'd use 201 LED corn light bulbs right off the bat and not messed with them CFL.Spend the money and buy new appliances.Not mess with used stuff off of Craigslist. or Ebay.I also wasted a lot of money on a propane heat sorce.I recommend buying a good quality vented heated big enough to heat your place.I wished I would have put in a few more 12 volt outlets than I did.And put traps on everyone of your drains.(sinks and tub/shower).Lastly do not run 120 volt wireing along with your 12 volt wireing.Keep them well separated. Keep any other cableing to T.V.s or computers well away from your 120 volt and 12 volt wireing.Also run all 12 volt wires in metal race ways like conduit or armored cable.And always fuse your 12 volt set up.Finish up everything.Don't let anything go unfinished till a later time.Get it done now and not plan to get back to it some day.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 17:32

1). Built a little bigger so we could have a downstairs bedroom.
2). Learned more about foundations,hired a engineer to build it. Had to replace
the original.
3). Built the storage shed sooner.

We're happy with everything else.

creeky
# Posted: 9 Dec 2015 17:40

I gotta say things have gone pretty good for me. Best thing I did was put in a solar system right away. That saved thousands in gas and propane and pains in the behind. The travel trailer I bought for living in the first few years, while not my thing, sure made life easier. You know. Having a good bed, a kitchen and a shower right off the bat. And I sold the thing for more than I paid. So...

But I would like to have built a barn/workshop right away. I put up a "temporary" garage tent and that thing just didn't do the job. For one it's way too far away from where I ended up living. 800 foot walks one way when all you forgot was a box of screws. Duh. So it ended up a big storage area. Now I'm forever moving this to get to that. Etc.

Yup. But having said that I wouldn't have known where the barn should have gone. So. Guess things worked out okay.

Which brings the next issue. I would have liked to move my solar system north about 50 feet. I get good sun for 3 seasons but that last season... Tree shade. Okay there's no leaves left, but it still cuts back on the output. 50 feet would have bought me an extra hour.

Something to be said for taking your time and waiting until you understand the property and your real needs.

I suspect my perception of good fortune is a delusion as my brain is not functioning properly. Yup, that's likely the case.

Gary O
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 08:30 - Edited by: Gary O

Do overs?
Hmmm
Got a bunch of little niggly ones.
Redid most.
But can't think of anything major.

Oh, wait...bought a rotten camper for $100.
Sat it down on the property.
Used it once, maybe.
Revisited the property after winter.
Tore it down after the snow load made it into wunna those short expandable campers.
Yeah, that wasn't on the agenda.

Other'n that, after moving here last April, having too much fun making the bigger ones now.

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Dec 2015 09:07

I don't know, if you did it all right the first time, you wouldn't learn anything.

offgridliving
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 07:47

I agree with Beachman. If we all grew a brain first, perhaps nothing would be ventured. I also agree with FishHog. It is true, if we did it all right the first time, or is things always went well, we would never learn anything.

There are also a lot of things I learned about log construction. When I bought my place, most of the land was, and still is, covered with thick stands of lodgepole pine. So, I cut logs and started construction right away because I was living in a tent. Despite building with green logs, things worked out because the structure was small. Then I cut logs for the addition, peeled, and stacked them and allowed them to season for one year. It is amazing how much less a log weighs when it dries for one year. Duh!!!!!

Fifteen years later, I decided to add a second cabin. For this place I did things very differently. I hired a guy to do the excavation work and buried a 525 gallon water cistern. I then completed the foundation work in about a month. I hired a professional carpenter to frame in the cabin, do siding, wiring, and roofing. I a presently finishing out the interior.

I am also learning a tremendous amount about solar design and installation as I will be performing a tremendous upgrade on my solar system.

Start to finish, I am estimating new cabin construction cost to be about $65/sq ft. Typical cost in my area is about $120 to 140/sq ft for a new build. So,even after paying someone for the framing work, I am still coming out way ahead.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still doing. For me, the benefits far out weigh the disadvantages. Especially when I major snow storm moves into the area and the local infrastructure goes down for days. The only difference it makes for me is that I have to shovel a little more to get to the woodshed.
Cheers.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 09:41

Quoting: FishHog
if you did it all right the first time, you wouldn't learn anything.

If you did it right the first time would it not mean that you first did your homework and learned what you needed to, before wasting time and materials?

beachman
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 11:55

No. A man's creed is to do first, screw up, then read the directions.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 13:06

Nobody's perfect. We all make mistakes. If we didn't how would we ever learn anything or become wiser over the years.

The problem we had with our foundation came from trusting our builder. He excels at hand scribing. Foundations not so much.

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Dec 2015 13:31

If I looked for property now, I'd probably look for an on-grid property so I'd have electrical. I like the location and geography of my place, but had I looked longer I might have found an equally nice place on grid. Pays to take your time and look carefully.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 16 Dec 2015 12:42

I appreciate this thread as I prepare for my adventure. I'm a planner and a researcher. A weird combination of someone who looks to others like she's doing something really off-the-wall but who has actually done a whole lot of reading and pondering before venturing.

The thing that I "followed my gut" on was committing to my land 14 months ago. I wasn't ready to move and build but something nagged at me to do it. I am really glad that I did. Sure, there's still plenty of land for sale in that area but I got a really good parcel at a good price. My land is level and has great access plus the perfect mix of trees and open areas. I've been watching the land sites for the area to see what's going on with the activity, and land is being snapped up as soon as it's available and the prices are thousands higher than what I paid.

So, while I've been rather bummed that my plans were derailed by the medical crap and I'm paying for land I'm not enjoying, I'm very glad I listened to my gut and secured it. I'm trying to use this time to refine my building plans.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.