Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Icy Locks (not my hair)
Gary O
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 02:32 - Edited by: Gary O

Kinda happy with my little discovery.
I know, you guys prolly know this one already.
But I didn't.
Using those neat little faucet covers for padlocks.
And it really works.
Had a couple padlocks freeze up on me a couple weeks ago.
Used duct tape and plastic for a bit.
Heh, duct tape is good for a lotta things, not this.
I feel somewhat MtnDon-ish.
OK, maybe not. Maybe MoleHillGary.
Anyway, happy with how this discovery turned out.
Oh, didn't take a pic, but just slipped the shackle thru the plastic loop then cinched 'er up snug.

One more little tidbit; had to cut out some of it to fit the container door latch. Easy-peasy.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 09:45

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 12:18

the spigot covers I bought like that at my local hardware store are called "Dolly Parton's"..I laughed out loud at the name of them. 79 deg here today....I don't think I will install them yet!!!

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Dec 2015 12:39 - Edited by: NorthRick

I always keep a propane plumbers torch handy. Hit the lock for a few seconds with the torch, wait a moment for the heat to sink in, and wahla, you're in!

gouligann
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 10:44 - Edited by: gouligann

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep rain and snow from freezing up on a lock at a gate?

Hubby and I worked for an hour trying to thaw the lock and get the key into the lock at our gate to the camp. We finally got the key in, but it didn't want to turn. We finally went over to a friends camp, got their sledge, and slugged it off with a couple of good blows.

Hmm, a blow torch might have to be put on our list of stuff to take.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 16:49

I put used motor oil on mine. Not a problem yet.

old243
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 17:22

I have used an old leather glove, cut a hole in it,and put the lock up inside . Pull the cuff down over the lock. Keep putting the key in your pocket, or in your mouth to warm it up , might not taste good but whatever works. old 243

Steve_S
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 17:25

If it's like a regular padlock with the U type clasp, you can take a piece of rubber (tire tube or other light rubber), make sure it's longer & wider than the top of the lock, Punch a small hole in it & push that over one end of the U, then punch another hole and onto the other side of it. That creates a little umbrella of sorts and keeps the water from running down the U Clasp into the mechanism.

cost = 0, recycled scrap rubber & 2 minutes time. Too Simple ? It's worked for me anytime I needed it over the decades.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 14 Feb 2016 22:19

Quoting: gouligann
Does anyone have any ideas how to keep rain and snow from freezing up on a lock at a gate?

Easy, in your case, grab the lock in both hands, hold it like you would a hot cup of cocoa with cold hands. It wont take long and the key will open it right up.

FishHog
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 11:17

I keep a blueflame lighter handy for frozen locks. Keep them in your pocket so they are warm and will light. Only takes a few seconds of heat to thaw out a lock.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 15 Feb 2016 14:14

I second the lighter. Use it to heat the key. The warm key will usually thaw the lock. The other trick I use is to have some lock deicer in my truck.

old greybeard
# Posted: 16 Feb 2016 06:58

I cut a 6x10 or so piece of old carpet and stapled it over the lock, you could use a heavy piece of rubber. Keeps the ice and snow off it. Simple to lift it up to work the lock. Haven't had one freeze since.
But I still always carry de-icer.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.