Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Whole Mother Earth News
islandguy
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 13:02

Although I understand this magazine is still being published, really old back issues that targeted the "back to the land" movement in the 60s and 70s are crammed full of interesting ideas and articles, and if you are able to locate a stack at a flea market or thrift store, grab them. You will spend many hours just browsing the articles at your cabin. (or home.) Usually aimed at very low budgets, the articles and plans were building wind generators from old car parts, water wheels, pedal powered washing machines, homemade wheelbarrows, sawmills, composting toilets, greenhouses, and hundreds and hundreds of things for woodstoves, cooking, gardening, and general tinkering. Anyone else had experience with this publication? any others I dont know about?

KC cabin
# Posted: 24 Oct 2010 16:56

Ditto islandguy! Those classic old Mother Earth News mags were a real treasure trove. I had a stack of those from the 70s that my grandfather gave me some years ago and I must have read those magazines cover to cover dozens of times. I think the fact that I built our cabin from about 85% salvaged material was due in large part from the can do, boot strap vibe those publications inspired.

steveqvs
# Posted: 25 Oct 2010 20:27

You can also buy all of them on cd now for a pretty reasonable price!

pheasantplucker
# Posted: 13 Nov 2010 07:18

I have perhaps the first fifty or so editions. Always enjoyed that publication. I particularly like the art on the covers before they began using photographs.

Gary O
# Posted: 13 Nov 2010 08:35

We had most all the issues, but gave them away in one of our moves. Yeah, the first issues are gold. Once they went commercial, well, not so earthy after that. Back Woods Home is kinda following suit......

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Nov 2010 21:35

i love the backwoods home magazines but mostly i like there anthologies.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.