Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / A carving at the cabin
. 1 . 2 . >>
neb
# Posted: 18 Dec 2015 23:31 - Edited by: neb

Here is another carving I started at the cabin and brought it home a few weeks ago to finish it up. The wood came from a tree that the beaver had taken down a few years ago. This one is a mountain man. I did one a while back and gave it to a charity group. I'm going to keep this one for myself. Lol I like to do my work at the cabin with the fire going and the great scenery it helps to motivate me. I then bring it home where I can bring in the house and sand and oil it.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 04:57

Such character and experience captured in his face! I just love it! You have a lot of talent, neb! Very, very well done.

Steve_S
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 06:41

Beautiful work Neb... as I said before, you have a tremendous gift & talent !

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 08:20

Neb~~your work keeps getting better and better!!!

find job on the carving!!!

neb
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 08:28

Thanks. I share carving from time to time with you because they mostly only get seen by me or by my wife. I will be heading to he shack today for the day. I'm just amazed how much I miss the shack when I'm not there. If I'm not there I want to be there. Lol

naturelover66
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 08:34

Another stunning work of art... I love it.
Merry Christmas Neb!
Lisa

Gary O
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 08:56 - Edited by: Gary O

Man, neb, that's a lot of work and just as much talent.

And to think, after hours/days/weeks, one wrong twitch of the chisel....well I wouldn't want to be around that person.

Thank you so much for sharing

I imagine this to be neb's shop when he invites friends over;

rmak
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 09:00

Wonderful. Just curious. What would you title this carving?

neb
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 09:30

Thanks and thanks.

Gary O >> Yep no wrong moves or hours and days of work is down the drain. Lol

rmak >> I have named a few carving but mostly just start a carving with a general subject on my mind and just go. I never have a real plan just start and see where the carving takes.

naturelover66 >> Merry Christmas to you also and thank you for all your kind words.

Th >> Thank you and just wondering if you have been behaving? Lol Have a great Christmas Sir.

neb
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 09:43

Gary O >> very cool picture and not far off base with what things look like around here. My garage at my home needs a complete overhaul any way that is what the boss says. Lol You guys might be the same as I am but have about everything in my garage imaginable. The walls are full (between the studs) with horse buggy parts, traps, fishing, hunting, backpacking, snow shoes and rafters are full of horns and antiques. Lol When people do stop bye they are a looking and asking questions. Lol

I bet I'm not the only that has this kind of thing going on.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 19:57 - Edited by: turkeyhunter

Quoting: neb
I bet I'm not the only that has this kind of thing going on.

my bride...gives me hell about my barnS full of stuff..she calls it junk..it's awesome things I find at yard sales/estate sale or laying in the trash..lol...but she has a project...I got what it takes in the barn to build it or fix it

Th >> Thank you and just wondering if you have been behaving? Lol Have a great Christmas Sir.

Kinda...lol...just some deer hunting lately...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you my friend...headed out your way this summer....maybe for a month road trip.

neb
# Posted: 19 Dec 2015 20:26

Quoting: turkeyhunter
my bride...gives me hell about my barnS full of stuff..she calls it junk..it's awesome things I find at yard sales/estate sale or laying in the trash..lol...but she has a project...I got what it takes in the barn to build it or fix it

Lol! I could not have said it any better. Some of that stuff I have I just can't throw I'm always using it for something!

TH>> When the time gets closer you get in touch with me maybe we can get together. I'll be retired then maybe do some turkey hunting if it is in that time of year.

I got a great buck early in the season with my bow. I hunted 21 days and finally one of four finally made a mistake or I just got lucky. I hunted hard in gun season didn't get a shot.

Eddy G
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 09:07

Beautiful work, thank you for sharing your talent and knowledge.
What kind of tree was it?

neb
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 10:34

Eddy G >>> it is cottonwood. I have access to a lot of cottonwood but it is not easy to find good wood with no cracks or a lot of knots where branches extend from these larger logs. I have some cut and stored now.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 16:35

Neb--sometimes show us your tools you use for carving...I picked up a nice carving knife several years ago at a yard sale...it was made in Boston area....

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 16:38

Neb,you are a talented man!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 17:16

That is very beautiful Neb. it takes a lot of work and talent to come out looking like that. Someday I may give it a whirl when I have more time on my hands.

neb
# Posted: 20 Dec 2015 18:24 - Edited by: neb

TH>> here is what I use for tools. You can see I have some home made tools. The knives have to be very sharp to make cuts then you chip to the cut marks. I have about 8 of those gouges and a coupe that are just straight and they clean up the rough parts. Cottonwood sands out pretty good.

hattie
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 12:29

That carving is absolutely amazing!!! You are so, so talented. Do you sell these?

jrbarnard
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 14:08

i'd get tired of all the dang splinters in my hands.. lol

NICE though! :P

Russ

neb
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 20:40

hattie >> I do sell them but I never started out to go down that road. I just wanted to do a carving for my home. I then did another and another until my wife said that I just can't keep doing them we would run out of room. Lol

I don't advertise or any thing like that but have sold more then I ever thought possible. I only do about 4 or 5 a year and I give some of them away for charity groups. I have about 50 to 60 hours of all hand carving no electric tools are used.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 21:04

nice work neb.

I have some cottonwoods that are on their last legs ... I'll see if I can get some blocks out and offer 'em up for local carvers.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 21:46

of all hand carving no electric tools are used.

thanks for the pics of the carving tool...I was wonder if you used any electric or a chainsaw to ruff them out...thanks...excellent work!!!

Shadyacres
# Posted: 23 Dec 2015 10:32

Did you buy a beginners carving book or anything like that. I was looking at some two cherries carving knives. ( ouch) How do you know which ones to start with ? Trial and error ? Thanks

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Dec 2015 21:47

Neb, almost looks like Hulk Hogan at first glance .

neb
# Posted: 23 Dec 2015 21:56 - Edited by: neb

Shadyacres >> interesting question. The first carving I did I had absolutely no idea how to start or how to get to the end. I can't even draw a stickman. I did a few then my wife bought this book for me it did give me some tips but to be honest I looked at it never read it. I just start with a few pencil lines and start chipping away. The carving just takes me to the end. I think it takes imagination and creativity and anyone can do it. I had no idea I could carve. I was asked on this carving how I did the mustache and lips. I said I have no idea I just take wood here then there and it is what it is. Lol It really is a crazy thing.
You get some wood and go do one with an imagination and be creative and you will be able to do it also.

First one I ever did. I don't even know what kind of wood it is. I was an 8 foot rotted out on one side log I sat on while fishing on the river. One day I decided to drag it out of there and do a carving.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 23 Dec 2015 22:51

Inspiring work to say the least Neb. What kind of wood is the best to use ?

neb
# Posted: 23 Dec 2015 23:30

I'm no expert in any way shape or form. The only wood I ever used is cottonwood. The first carving I did in above post I have no idea what kind of wood it was. It was very dark wood.

I have a feel for cottonwood and it seems to work for me. One problem is that not all cottonwood is the same. I pick mine up along the river by my shack. If it has laid to long if doesn't carve the best and so on. I have cut 30 inch chunks and let them dry for a year or two. Most I just find and take home and start to carve but it has to be dry wood. I have never thrown out a carving because the wood was that bad to carve.

If you give it a try please share how you have done. I hope I helped you.

jaransont3
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 18:22

Really enjoy your carvings Neb. Inspired me to give it a try. I bought a couple of pieces of basswood (great for carving, btw) at the local hobby store and a few simple carving knives.

I started out by roughing out the shapes on a bandsaw...

and then started whittling away...

Obviously still a work in progress, but I am having fun. It is not full scale, only about 11" long from beak to tail. I am still trying to decide just how refined I want to make it before paint. Part of me likes seeing the knife marks, part of me wants to sand it all nice and smooth.

I will post progress as I make it.

This will be one to do here at the house and bring to the cabin, but I plan to bring my knives and more basswood to the cabin so I can sit on the porch and carve some more.

neb
# Posted: 23 Jan 2016 19:22

jaransont3 >>> that is great!! You have done a great job so far and let your imagination and creativity go to work. Please keep us posted on your progress. Thank you for sharing your work.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.