Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Trailer rebuild
Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 17 Jan 2016 13:46

Hello All

I know there are other websites that are all about trailers and fabricating, but You guys know this stuff and I know you guys!

I am rebuilding a old utility trailer to haul a snowmobile (500lbs) in the winter and building supplies in the summer. The total length of the bed is 100" and the axel is 60" from the front. Following the 60/40 split rule.

I have the tongue at 48" long. from the front of the bed to the hitch. Im worried that this may be too long.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

bldginsp
# Posted: 17 Jan 2016 17:00

Don't see that a long tongue is a problem so long as it is strong. What matters most is that you have about 10% of the total load weight on the tongue, and, of course, that the axle is designed to take whatever weight you put on it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Jan 2016 19:17

48" isnt too long, its about right. I would say 36-48" is perfect. Gives you stability, allows your truck to back up without kinking the trailer into the truck backing up etc. A tongue too short also interferes with opening a tail gate on the tow truck and interfering with the A frame tongue jack etc. I would like to see you install electric brakes. A great source for trailer gear for trailer fabricators is www.southwestwheel.com or etrailer.com

You want the axle behind the center of the trailer deck surface. So even unloaded, the tongue has weight. bldg insp said it about right, 10% over the tongue always. If you install a 3500 lb axle, this is minus the weight of the entire trailer. Whats left is what payload you will be allowed to safely haul.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 11:07

I agree with the others. That sounds like a good length to me. I find trailers with a longer tongue are harder to back up as well.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 18 Jan 2016 11:13

Hey Thanks guys. I think I will leave it and see how it tows. I can always take 6-8" off if needed.

neckless
# Posted: 22 Jan 2016 17:44

u should be able to jackknife the trailer with out it hitting the deck almost 90...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.