Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / 3D Printer- anyone using one for cabin projects?
buckybuck
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 17:05 - Edited by: buckybuck

Last month, as a result of this thread some folks here turned me on to some 12 volt to USB buck converters. I ordered some off eBay, and a couple showed up from China the other day. Cool—nice LED numeric display and status lights.

But I needed an enclosure. After a Google search, I came across this project on the Thingiverse website.

Luckily, my public library just got a 3D printer and started offering printing service. I downloaded the files, put them on a flash drive, and had my library print them for me. To print an object in 3D plastic, my library charges 10 cents per gram, which probably means something to the Canadians here. For me, all I know is I ended up with the plastic parts to make a USB converter enclosure for around a dollar. Here's pics of what I ended up with.

I looked at other projects on the Thingiverse.com website, but about all I saw was lots of Star Wars-related stuff. The only thing I saw that looked it might possibly be useful at my cabin was a 3D-printed beer can cover with a bio-hazard label on it. Anyone else using a 3D printer for cabin projects? If so, what sorts of things?
USB converter
USB converter
USB converter parts
USB converter parts

bobrok
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 17:31

Have not ever been near a 3D printer, but I gotta tell ya the concept of it both intrigues and scares the hell out of me.

I read where they've printed food.

FOOD!!!!

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 19:14

Quoting: bobrok
Have not ever been near a 3D printer, but I gotta tell ya the concept of it both intrigues and scares the hell out of me.

I'm with you, bobrok!

Of course, I'm from the generation that grew up with and loved the REAL Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. Remember "Wonka-vision?" You take a picture of something, it shows up on a screen, and becomes real. Some "shortcomings" became apparent.

It is fascinating but I'll let others go first on these things and sit back, watch, and wait for a while.

pash
# Posted: 24 Feb 2016 22:51

I use a 3d printer regularly. I have used it to make tractor flasher lenses when i broke one going through the woods and New Holland wanted $120 for a new one. Made cases for all sorts of stuff to stay out of the weather, and I make my son all kinds of lego star wars stuff. The cad is the hard part, but thanks to thingiverse if anyone out there has done it, it is readily available to you.

Don_P
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 00:52

Downloaded a file of a model of a walking beast we are making with a school group. I was in the shop with them today and the shop got a new CNC router... just failed to get that file drawn up, a laser engraver/cutter and 3d printers... so hopefully tomorrow we'll have a 1/3 scale model of what we are working on, kind of cool.

I'm also taking in a Honda door handle that I've broken 3 of. If the kids can scan and print that I'd like to pour a refractory around that, melt out the plastic, melt some beer cans and cast the door handles in aluminum... and then I'll buy it from them. If I've broken 3 there must be tens of thousands of broken ones, a ready made market for them to play with. We live in interesting times.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 15:52

Remember the Jetsons, where they had big flying machines that would build buildings from the ground up, complete, in one operation as the machine rose up from the ground? Well, can you make a cabin with a 3D printer? You can't now, but making and setting up a frame large enough to move a print head over the area of a cabin is do-able. At 10 cents per gram the cost might be comparable. Make a log cabin without the logs. Perhaps the print heads can be adapted to shoot concrete, or something similar. You would just have to put in rebar as you went. Finished cabin in one operation.

bobrok
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 17:07

Ha! And you could print your own food and firewood while you're at it!

Now if you could invent a solar powered 3D printer we'd all be self sufficient and saved from the apocalypse!

Jebediah
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 18:20 - Edited by: Jebediah

bldginsp; They are building houses in China using large 3D printers, not plastic but a cement composite. 10X10 will cost approx. $5,000 .

Here's another company from Italy...www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/.../giant-3d-printer-builds-hous...

pash
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 20:20

I watched "this old house" a few years back and they printed an addition using concrete if i remember right. So yeah the tech is out there, just not readily available.

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Feb 2016 22:46 - Edited by: bldginsp

And I thought I was so smart for thinking of it first. Burst my bubble. Sniff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYqBxEAtXZA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Elbvvr1M

Jebediah
# Posted: 26 Feb 2016 05:38

bldginsp I will see something new and think that's neat, forget about it and a few months later I'll have what I think is a light bulb moment, not!

bldginsp
# Posted: 26 Feb 2016 18:44

Been there, done that. I'm a legend in my own mind, the world's greatest genius that there never was.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.