Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hardwood cabin furniture
Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 16:49

I'd decided I wanted a storage bed for my cabin. Queen-sized with four drawers underneath to store bedding and some clothes. But the retail offerings are terrible. Flimsy, composite with thin veneers that wouldn't last OR ornate and foo-foo, not cabin-appropriate. Not being able to build myself, I was a bit discouraged, until I found this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KV4MKS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3CY 2GZOQU4SY8&coliid=I19WP68DKDURMW&psc=1

Drawers designed for the bed can be purchased separately and are on wheels for easy roll-out but fit perfectly underneath. I'd buy four, which a queen-sized bed would accommodate.

http://www.amazon.com/Set-Under-Bed-Storage-Drawers/dp/B001KNLSUW/ref=pd_sim_196_1?ie =UTF8&dpID=51uWqoK6ITL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0X7SPPJ77SBYGPB BTATP

There are also minimalist nightstands, chests, and tables in this line available at affordable prices. Plus, another, similar line on Amazon of hardwood furniture that's also attractive and affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/Bedside-Table-Brand-Solid-Hardwood/dp/B001KNSZLW/ref=pd_sim_201 _1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51D43Vwm52L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0JDW3AQH45 H0GTC6YCVW

The Nomad furniture is made by a craftsman in New Mexico. He has a lot of different styles and wood choices. Amazon only carries two but other retailers offer more.

Just a thought for others who can't build furniture and are looking for affordable, quality options!

Since I'm dealing with reroofing and some painting and carpet replacing at my current home before sale, I decided that it would make sense to sell my bedroom set (lol, a big, four poster-canopy bed monstrosity with huge dresser, etc.) and clear that room now, order this bed and nightstand, and move into one of my other bedrooms while the work is being done. Then, I'll have my bed right off the bat at my new home.

bobrok
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 18:50

Yeah, J2O, my daughter and SIL have a queen unit with underside drawers, but it's from Value City Furniture. URL

I can tell you that if you can find hardwood construction it will be to your advantage. We had to recently rebuild the frame structure because of sagging, separation, split boards, etc.

Best to go for quality up front rather than a sleek design.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2016 20:07

Goodness, those are rather pricey, bobrok! The hardwood bed with four drawers that I linked would run me about $300 with shipping. If I decide that I want a headboard in time, I can easily get one separately or have one made by a local craftsman. But I need a good bed straight away.

Storage beds are great for small spaces, though. It's like having a bed and a chest of drawers in one.

Here's the general site for Nomad furniture, if anyone is interested in reading the story or about the products.

http://nomadfurniture.com/

KinAlberta
# Posted: 3 May 2016 12:10

Consider the repurposing route.

You could possibly pick up an old or antique bed frame with a dresser for next to nothing, and take the dresser drawers and put them under the bed. Then sand and refinish. (Scrap the rest of the dresser or use the dresser unit's wood in some creative way.)

If the drawers are too deep, it would be easy to cut them to a shallower depth.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 3 May 2016 16:44

KinAlberta
That would be a creative and fun project for sure if I had time to look around and work on it. Maybe that's something I could do for a second (guest) bedroom in the cabin.

I just have too many projects going right now and I have to empty my master bedroom so we can deal with the carpet and drywall replacement in there from the leaky roof. I'm selling my bedroom suite and need to buy a good bed pronto.

FishHog
# Posted: 4 May 2016 18:20

old waterbed frames with drawers underneath work very well. Not quality, but functional. We double stacked drawers and put a queen bed on top. Works great at our cottage, and we both have 6 drawers on our sides for storage.

they are getting hard to find, but I advertised and got 2 free, one I had to pay $20 for but used all the bed lumber so really wasn't a bad deal

Bevis
# Posted: 5 May 2016 04:40

Go check out Anna White for some ideas on maybe building yourself.

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 5 May 2016 05:37

Um ...

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Not being able to build myself, I was a bit discouraged, until I found this:

I have nerve damage in my hands due to Lupus. Building a queen-sized bed isn't an option. I'm not helpless but dealing with 7-foot-long pieces of wood isn't within my capabilities. My son is helping me move and he'll assemble this for me. Or maybe his girlfriend will!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.