Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Looking for heating and cooling options
Littlecooner
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 19:25 - Edited by: Littlecooner

OK group, I am now looking in detail for options to heat and COOL the 220 sq ft cabin. The only option I have for cooling in the summer heat in the south is to sit a generator outside and crank it up and burn gasoline. I have a wet weather spring that produces water from the wet season about November/December until April/May. The spring is about to quite running now. So I find the following link and also see that the small window units that will reverse from AC to Heat are available in 110v. This unit as provided in the link appears attractive for both price and function.

Has anyone every know of something like this being used in an off grid situation?

http://www.climaterightair.com/applications/cabin-heating-and-air-conditioning-lodges -heating-and-air-conditioning/climateright-cr12000sach-ductless-mini-split-12-000-btu -air-conditioner-with-heat-pump.html

I have plans to pipe the wet weather spring to run a mini hydo generator to produce power in the winter, but the hot summer months are left out of that option. I have build in the middle of the eastern US of A forest so solar is total out. I had plans for a 12v ceiling fan and may still do that, but these small units look attractive. Anyone have experience or knowledge?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Apr 2016 19:40 - Edited by: MtnDon

A friend of mine has run a Sanyo split mini on PV solar since 2009. He uses an inverter / variable speed model. That is an important feature for off grid solar use. He does not use a generator at all.

At 15 SEER the climate right is not spectacularly efficient. There are split minis approaching double that now.

Some info on his system here.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.