Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / cabin fire
davey25
# Posted: 30 May 2016 12:48

I just lost my 600sq ft log cabin last week including my log shed, outhouse, outdoor shower, and wood shed. Totally destroyed 90 year old beautiful cabin
After the huge clean up Im looking for someone to build a new log cabin shell slightly bigger than the original. Im on a island and on uneven terrain up a bit from the lake so I need smaller logs and a simple design as no access to cranes or anything like that. Im located in ontario Canada hopefully someone knows a good builder or kit to go with. Thanks

neb
# Posted: 30 May 2016 13:54

Sorry to hear of your loss. I can't help you but wish you the best.
What caused the fire if I may ask?

Smawgunner
# Posted: 30 May 2016 21:34

Oh man, everyone's worst nightmare. Sorry to hear.

davey25
# Posted: 30 May 2016 22:50

Don't have the fire report back.. I had a fire outside and the next day about 30 hours later it burnt..it was apparently really windy..I'm kicking myself in the ass cause I just stirred it up till it went down and put a screen on top and I thought about drowning it out and said nah I've done this a million times it won't catch fire...always make sure there out and avoid any doubt

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 May 2016 11:48 - Edited by: hueyjazz

I would have to admit one of the things that scares me about my property is I have a string of very mature pines running through it. I love the pine in that they give me a ready made trail and it reminds me of my beloved Adirondacks. However, the foot of pine duff is very flammable. I do my best to limit this but it an impossible task.
One moron with a cigarette and it all over.

My brother lived in Tahoe for many years. First trip to visit him and I saw an accident waiting to happen as they have a vast array of pine forest and pine duff over a foot. A few years back it burned. My brother was at my house at the time. We kept calling his house figuring as long as the answering machine picked up, he had a house. The news kept showing the fire next to the defunct airport there. he live next to that airport but it turns out the fire went the opposite direction away from his house.

Very sorry for your loss. I'm over insured should this happen to my cabin but I've been cutting back the trees around it to make a fire break should we get a forest fire.

neb
# Posted: 31 May 2016 12:12

That is a concern for me also. I'm in very remote area a lot of old under growth and a lot of old grass. There is really very little I believe I can do to clean up 80 acres in rough country. I won't start a fire unless the ground is wet or snow etc. In the summer I will not start a fire. If a fire started it would have to be fought from air and by foot.

Good luck my friend.

Malamute
# Posted: 2 Jun 2016 22:28 - Edited by: Malamute

Quoting: davey25
Im on a island and on uneven terrain up a bit from the lake so I need smaller logs and a simple design as no access to cranes or anything like that.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I built a hand powered long winch that worked pretty well. I could handle up to 40 foot logs with 12-14" butts by myself. I have an idea where the pictures are, but am without a camera to reproduce them digitally at the moment.

The winch was on casters and could be moved around on the floor deck as needed. If the logs aren't too heavy, it can be rolled while lifting a log. If heavy, I lifted it, spun it a ways, set it down, moved the winch, then lifted it again. With the log pile on one side I had no trouble moving them anywhere I needed.

If work space at your site is limited, you can get a couple rows of logs set, then use them as sawhorses to peel the rest of the pile before proceeding upwards with the walls again.

hattie
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 13:40

I'm so sorry to hear about your cabin. Best of luck with the rebuild!

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 3 Jun 2016 15:54

Damn Sorry that happened Davey. Whereabouts in ON are you? There is a bunch of us here and maybe someone can point you in the right direction.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.