Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Recommendation Needed Redfield, NY
moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 12:35

Hi All, we have an off-grid cabin in the Redfield, NY area that is in dire need of being jacked and supported. My father-in-law used to know of pros up there that did that sort of thing, but those contacts are not around now. It is sitting on decaying cinder blocks, and there might be some other forms of support, I haven't crawled under it to find out. Overall it's probably 20 ft x 40 ft-ish, there are main 3 rooms, plus an attached shed. If anyone has any recommendations for cabin "jackers" in the Redfield, or Williamstown area I would appreciate any info you could send my way. Thanks!

spoofer
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 14:13

There is a Business on RT 2 Huff n Puff excavation. He dug my Outhouse hole for $50. Nice guy. I'll see if I can find his card

rockies
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 18:20

"There is a Business on RT 2 Huff n Puff excavation. He dug my Outhouse hole for $50."

I'm sure it's a very good company but that's the funniest line I've read in ages

Or I'll blow your house in !

bldginsp
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 18:39 - Edited by: bldginsp

You might look in local listings for house movers. I know you are not moving it but the point is that house movers know jacking in and out.

And they use hydraulics so they don't have to huff and puff.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 10 Jul 2016 19:19 - Edited by: moneypitfeeder

Thank you spoofer, much appreciated. I agree that is a great name! I'll look into a mover too bldginsp, but I don't know if that is done much up there. The place was jacked and supported right before my father inlaw bought the property about 30 years ago, and we bought it from him about 10 years ago so it is well overdue. We aren't ever expecting to get "level" out of her, but supported enough not to crumble down the hill into the stream would be great. Really great spot, but it will be difficult to get big equipment there. There is a "jeep trail" that goes into it, but there are some pretty sharp bends. We have been trying to decide if jacking and fixing or buying a new structure makes the most sense. We know of an Amish shed builder up there that makes good quality buildings that we could then do any interior work to make it liveable for the couple weeks a year we can get up there, but we haven't even started looking into the codes up there. The camp currently has a composting loo, and propane for the fridge, lights, and range, and we use (as of this year!) a small pump for water with a motorcycle battery to bring buckets of water up, recharged by a cheap solar panel-used to just be carrying buckets up the hill. Other than that there aren't any services available. If anyone has any info about hunting cabin building codes for that area, I would also appreciate it. I have been trying to look up the codes for Oswego county (there is a small portion of our property that is in Lewis county) and am not sure what an off-grid cabin would fall under. If we go with new, we certainly want sound and up to code, but I think things like septic up there (for our use and land situation) would be unrealistic. I also wouldn't want to wire the whole building to electrical code, when there is no power there, and copper theft is a minor problem in that area.

spoofer
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 08:10

He got a small "digger"type tractor to my property to dig my hole. Great guy spent probably 2 hours total time. I can't find his card though. I'll google his business.

spoofer
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 08:14

His address and phone # are 1509 co. rt. 2
Orwell, NY
315-298-2928

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 16:14

Thank you very much spoofer, I appreciate your recommendation. I'll get in touch and see if he's willing or able to take a look the next time we can make it up there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.