Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / I wish I had.............
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 09:18

Let's use this post to help new builders with things you wish you had done.

Sometimes I wish my cabin was bigger, but in the winter, I love how fast it warms up. I also like to see out from every chair, so small is fine.

Owen

Cowracer
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 09:35

I wish I had put more thought into the foundation. Its not like my cabin is going to crumble into the dust, but now I see that it would have only been a little extra $$$ and time to do it right, rather than the large amount of $$$ and time it will take to make it right after the fact.

Tim

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 09:49

#IWishIHad more time to be at my cabin... oh, and put in a bigger garden. I can't wait for retirement.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 11:47

I wish I had the ability to live at the cabin all week long. Darn job gets in the way of that.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 11:51

I second that!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 12:25

I have no regrets so far, except maybe size, and putting in safety glass where the county told me I needed it, but suspect he saw the plans wrong. If I did add, I can do either an upstairs or go out to the back on the gable end or even both (add on gable end plus grow it out the back). So I can easily grow it if I wanted to without having the "scabbed on addition" look. I never planned on living there, so in reality, probably just fine. If I do move there, I will build another place. I would consider even a cinder block large 3 bay workshop with a same level living quarters added to one end, all brick for fire issues and the typical large buffer.

bldginsp
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 13:55

I wish I had located the cabin a little differently to accommodate a potential addition. Wasn't thinking about that when I located the foundation.

carr0406
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 14:30

I wish I added a few more storage areas for clothes and necessities.

bobrok
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 15:43

I wish I had not waited until my mid 50s to acquire a cabin.
I'm funnin' as much and as fast as I can for the last 10 years to catch up, but it'll never happen I fear.

naturelover66
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 17:58

I wish i lived there. And i wish it had a closet!!
Lisa.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 18:13

#IWishIHad high speed internet access at the cabin. This way I could live there full time.

I also wish my wife wasn't afraid of bears.

bigriver
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 21:26

I wish that I had more money when I built my cabin so I could have but in full basement instead of a crawl space. As I am getting older it is getting harder to get through the 2' x 3' outside access to work on the plumbing system.

Wilbour
# Posted: 11 Jul 2016 22:23

3 more wishes!

sparky30_06
# Posted: 16 Jul 2016 15:33

an unlimited bank account so I could buy the land of my dreams and build the cabin of my dreams

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 16 Jul 2016 17:05

Bank accounts are unlimited... You can put as much as you want in them. 😜

1300_stainless
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 09:25

- Insulated the floor.

- Built it just a touch bigger so there could be a ground level bed that stayed set up and made (I'm only 100 sq ft)

- Got around to finishing the outhouse by now (working on it) lol

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the results.

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 12:13

As a few here know, I am big on using a variety Foam Insulation, like XPS, EPS and Poly-ISO... I do not use Batt insulation anymore.

Lessons Learned Dept: Wish I had put the foam between the studs, while framing everything flat... Same for the 7-1/2" of ISO between my rafters. What a Royal PITA to cut, trim and "stuff" rigid foam between the lumber... doable, YES but talk about time consuming.

When running my Power & Water conduits (two 4" O-Pipes) from my Powerhouse / Pumphouse I should have put the Pex line into it's conduit as well as the power in it's conduit... What a PAIN to pull that around the corners, bends and... every tiny bend can be a 'challenge'.

Lastly, when I was doing my 1st excavation work (driveway, building pad etc) I should have had the fellow with the big CAT Excavator open up a nice hole where I want to put my 'off-side root cellar'... Now I'm gonna have to fight with a little Kubota to get in there and it will take me days vs 15 Minutes with the Big machine... silly, silly bugger.... @ $180 per day, it's an expensive lesson....

Of Course: More Cash is always a "Wish I had... more"

ClimberKev
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 12:25

I wish I didn't have cell phone reception.

hattie
# Posted: 21 Jul 2016 22:35

I wish I had some of those solatubes that give light through the ceiling and I wish I had more money.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.