Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Antique Gas Stoves?
NateVT
# Posted: 18 Aug 2016 13:46 - Edited by: NateVT

Does anyone use an antique gas stove for their camp? I was casually checking out the propane stove offerings on Craigslist and found three different Glenwood gas stoves, all reportedly in working condition. They have a ton of character, which is important to me - just hoping they're also safe to use! Anyone have experience with these bad boys?
350_Glennwood.jpg
350_Glennwood.jpg

bldginsp
# Posted: 18 Aug 2016 14:51 - Edited by: bldginsp

Cool looking stove. I do not have direct experience with these, but if it was made for natural gas and you hook it up to propane it will not burn efficiently and throw dangerous gasses into the kitchen. Many stove makers offer kits to convert to propane from natural gas, but can you get one for this? If no kit exists, I wonder if a professional can alter it for you- hmm- not sure I like that idea. Are the sellers sure they are propane units?

I'd also check to see if any of the castings are cracked or burnt out, which is much more likely with old wood stoves, but gas appliances burn out as well. Unfortunately, there are a lot of beautiful stoves out there that are totally useless, except to recycle into import cars.

NateVT
# Posted: 18 Aug 2016 17:13 - Edited by: NateVT

That's a good point about the propane, definitely something to look into. One of the listings said the stove came out of a camp so presumably it ran off propane.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.