Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / lawyers Fees
Viperedpete1958
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 04:01

Hi okay this is related to ontario , i am looking to speak with a lawyer from Toronto he wants 300.00 for the hour is this reasonable i live in london so would be nicer if anyone had any good experiences to put me in the right direction. How much would you pay to speak with lawyer. Ty for your valued opinion

old243
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 08:49

I have no idea what a lawyer charges. It would depend on the reason , that you want the lawyer.. If you are doing a real estate transaction, live in London. I would probably suggest someone close to where the property is located , Lots of smaller towns around you, do some pricing , ask a realtor for a recommend. Good Luck old243

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 11:46

I live in Rochester which is the US city separated by Lake Ontario from Toronto. I would say that fee is double what I would pay. But Toronto isn't a cheap city. If this is for a rural property I agree with Old. Get someone local to the property to deal with. The quoted fee is about what I would expect to pay for NYC so maybe it is right for Toronto. But many attorneys have flat fee for their services such as closings. I personally like to know what the expected tally will be.

beachman
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 14:10

You get what you pay for. If this person is as good as his/her rate, then you will get good value for your money. Professional advice is not cheap and by cutting corners to save a few bucks - it may cost you plenty in the long run. IMHO

MtnDon
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 14:18

If memory serves me right, that is reasonable for a straightforward real estate transaction. That buys you peace of mind and his professional insurance against something popping up later.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 15:10

I will not argue that bad representation will cost you in the long run. Of course you would want to seek out a person with a good track record. Price doesn't always equal quality.
But the question is that rate reasonable for the area My attorney isn't normal. She has a Ph.D. in law. She is exceptional. She charges $140 an hour and is quite expedient. Does going sixty miles to the North double the going rate? Maybe

Professional services are often govern by location. Ever use a means book for construction costs? You will see quite a difference when going to a Metro area. Part of this is certain Union scale for the area but that only part of it. The cost basis of the area will play into it.

I do go to Toronto. I wouldn't call it inexpensive

Viperedpete1958
# Posted: 31 Aug 2016 17:48

TY for comments , been my experience so far that most dont get back me realtors, lawyers are very untrusting and dont do what i want , RECO is a joke when it comes to what agents can and cant do . agents in the Ingersol woodstock london area not willing to get back to you and the misinformation is unbeileavable when i was looking, so i want to get a place where i have a lot more to say in an no or unorganized township but i need to know all that pertains .

Bylaws you think you own a PROPERTY you dont and by asking questions i find proffessional people figure really quick i aint an easy mark . I have been told i have to do the research or you are stuck with what you have ( i have read comments on here about it happening to people here also )and get lawyers in the mix than its a recipe for disaster then the privacy act only allows you certain information . I am looking for an honest professional that will give me the answers i need cause at the end of the day i am stuck with it .

This is my experience so far and its not pretty so i will continue to do what needs to be done . ONLY thing i am looking for is people or persons with intigrity not chasing the dollar .

I have found lots of info on here just from searching which makes me the more educated and informed buyer .

DaveBell
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 10:40

$300/hr for a phone consultation?
Seems way high.

FishHog
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 12:12

Steer clear of Toronto and you might do a little better, as they have expensive overhead to pay for.
That being said, I used one out of Huntsville last fall. Here are the applicable rates. My total bill for a sale was $900 though, which was a mix of the below.

Derek J. Miller hourly rate: $375.00
John J. Dooley hourly rate: $285.00
Rebekah C. Dunsmore hourly rate: $250.00
Law clerk hourly rate: $150.00

Viperedpete1958
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 17:20

Ty sir what were the services that the people gave you

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 10:26

They completed the sale of my old cottage

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.