Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Remote deliveries
hueyjazz
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 18:24

So we are in the process of closing on a 2nd cabin that I already surround. Much larger and nicer than our existing cabin. Master plan is to use this as our retirement home. The access is about ten miles from a pave road and then quarter mile in on a single lane.
They do deliver mail to the road mailbox but how do you get packages. I got an Amazon addiction. Of course the limited internet access will help. Back to 56k access.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Sep 2016 20:32

Get a large parcel box.

http://www.florencemailboxes.com/products.php?dept=Cluster%20Box%20Units%20and%20Acce ssories&model=164

Julie2Oregon
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 01:51

Doesn't Amazon Prime have to bring it to your door, pretty much? I hope so. I got Amazon Prime mostly for that reason! They bring most stuff right up to my porch at my current home and I'm on a rural route, with the mailbox down the road. Not as rural as I will be in Oregon, but still.

Asher
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 07:38

I can't vouch for mail men, but I drive a semi for a large company (some days it's a 53' trailer, other it's a 28' with a lift gate). It's up to us on how far the delivery goes, if it's not safe, possible to do without damage to the property or equipment then we stop short and the problem starts from there... The biggest problems I run into is overhead clearances and a place to turn around after reaching my destination.

If your planning on receiving a lot of packages, consider placing a truck bed type tool box beside your mail box and putting a combination code type pad lock on it. Place a sign in the area saying "smile your on camera". When you fill out your shipping information you can leave a message with the combo code and "no signature required"... Since I mostly deal with "freight" we get quite a few small business deliveries to unmanned storage lockers there is a combo code on the delivery bill notes to get into the locker...

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Sep 2016 09:54

Quoting: Julie2Oregon
Amazon Prime

Depends on the carrier used for the item. They do use UPS a lot and UPS only delivers to the door. However, if it is a small item, a small box or a shipping envelope much of that goes USPS to the mailbox with the odd large package delivered USPS to the door because it won't fit in the package box. (Our mailboxes are cluster boxes).

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Sep 2016 22:45

our little store two miles down the road has ups that brings our packages to the store.we get a call from the ones running the store and we go pick up our package.
otherwise we are traveling 50 miles to get the mail.

Manaphy
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 03:48

Amazon prime has limit.

DaveBell
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 04:12

Full time RV'ers use private mail holding service, usually retired couple or person who offer the service. Doesn't cost much, but all the mail goes there. You use their address.

For the Amazon-addicted, (like me also) you can have different addresses on your profile to select.

Search on Google or sign on to the Yahoo Van-dweller group and ask how to find them.

bldginsp
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 08:38

UPS told me they will pick up and deliver to any rural address in the 48.

Rickkrus
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 11:58

I live mile and a half off of the road. I talked with the ups driver in my area. He said to do what Asher suggested.

hattie
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 12:25

We live in a rural, semi-remote area. I order online ALL THE TIME and I can tell you first hand out here in BC couriers won't and don't deliver to your house.

Yes, you will pay a huge rate to have something delivered and out here it will be dropped off at a business in the next town (19 km away). This past summer I spent $1,600 to have some of my Mother's belongings (she moved into a nursing home) shipped to me. One would think that for $1,600 they would come to my door - nope. The courier said he tried to call us which was a lie. We deliberately stayed home for days waiting for the package (or a call) knowing it was coming. No call - except from the business in the next town asking us to come and get it.

Now when I order from Amazon I ask them to send by mail and not courier. If the package is not too large it will come to the supermailboxes in town - otherwise I go to the next town and pick it up at the Post Office.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 15:38

The only place to have package delivery near our camp is the family owned auto supply store 35 miles away in town.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.