Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Mold?
pfireproof
# Posted: 12 Sep 2016 07:48

Anyone have issues with mold? Our cabin sits mainly in the shade and a couple times we have had to wash the curtains because of mold and clean some of the upstairs walls with a anti mold spray.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 12 Sep 2016 09:55

At the hunting cabin I have an interest in we had a mildew problem about 10 years ago. A particularly humid summer, and a cabin that was not used and locked-up tight. When we cracked the door in August the smell about knocked you over. We threw out a few things, cleaned a bunch more, but the ultimate fix was leaving each window cracked about 2 inches at the top so the cabin could breathe. Haven't had an issue since.

At the family cabin I am building, I designed vents that are opened when I'm not there so I don't have this problem there.

pfireproof
# Posted: 13 Sep 2016 07:30

Thanks for the advice

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Sep 2016 09:27

I have vents that are always left open unless I'm there heating. Airflow is your friend.

RichInTheUSA
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 01:17

I put plastic down in my cellar on the dirt floor, and also run a dehumidifier.

gyarin
# Posted: 7 Dec 2016 22:39

It seems to be a normal issue.If there is a lot of mold then it can be very difficult to clean the curtains and if not washed properly they can get discolored over time.Keep the curtain as neat as possible and make sure that you get rid of the mold as quick as you can cause if left unattended their smell can spread all over the house..Recently I happen to read a blog which I think might help you to tackle the problem and get rid of the mold.Here is the link to the blog.Hope you find it useful
http://www.sunrise-cleaning.com/blog/cleaning-tips/hard-clean-items-curtains/.URL

TerraLove
# Posted: 9 Dec 2016 12:25

If there is humidity, mold will settle there. I used to believe that a spray of dilute potassium permanganate helped, but it does not seem to work as efficient as years ago, perhaps mold developed resistance to it.

Bret
# Posted: 9 Dec 2016 13:42 - Edited by: Bret

How about hygrogen peroxide. It will kill mold as will vinegar and baking soda.

I had some unfinished MDF cabinets in a dampish garage that developed mold. I sprayed some on the surface to kill the mold then scraped away what was left. Seemed to work.

Best to prevent it in the first place. Mold loves moisture and lack of ventilation and sunshine.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.