Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Stick kindling storage
rmak
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 12:20 - Edited by: rmak

OK, not an earthshaking problem but I'm hoping one of you smart folks could help me out. I have a godzillion branches that fall from the trees. I can't see spending time splitting kindling wood with this constant source of small wood to use that I can break, snip or cut quickly to usable lengths.

My problem is that I need containers to keep this stuff to store and take both to the cabin and to our home since we burn wood in both places. I have storage space in our barn to keep it dry.

I've tried trash cans and barrels, which work ok for split kindling since it's fairly regular sized and I can squeeze a lot in one can. Branches and limb parts are so varied in size and shapes they don't lend themselves to tight packing.

I thank you in advance if you come up with a bright idea.

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 13:25

Easy-peasy. I found 3 identical pallets (free, of course) and built this. It requires some disassembly and reassembly ,but it's weatherproof and keeps kindling dry.
Closed view
Closed view
Opened view
Opened view

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 14:18

I'm going to use used milk crates. Usually a bunch available on Craigslist.

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 15:51

Well I gather branches every fall for the wood stove in the winter. We break them to useable lengths and then I just take twine and bundle them up into easily handled piles. I stack these piles under my roof overhang beside the front of my cabin where it stays dry. I have an old metal wash bin inside the cabin and when I need more kindling I just grab a couple bundles and bring them inside and cut the twine. I have been doing it this way for years and it works great. The bundles are easily transportable as well. As an added bonus it keeps the kids busy at thanksgiving gathering all the branches for us and helps clean up the property.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 16:00

Got anyplace where you can get apple crates?
Basically a 4 x 4 x 4 skid mounted box. Works great

One of my perks of marrying into a large apple farm. Apples and cider are the others. And oh, she came with a pickup truck and a barn.
I do love cider. Soft and hard

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 16:47

Quoting: hueyjazz
Got anyplace where you can get apple crates?
Basically a 4 x 4 x 4 skid mounted box. Works great

One of my perks of marrying into a large apple farm. Apples and cider are the others. And oh, she came with a pickup truck and a barn.
I do love cider. Soft and hard

LOL! Sounds as if you live in Wayne County! We're all about apples and crates and cider here!

hueyjazz
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 18:13

Wow Bobrok
So would you believe Williamson/Pultneyville. I don't live there but in-laws do.

bobrok
# Posted: 14 Sep 2016 20:33

Yep, I'm a 315er, gotta admit. Familiar with all the family farms up there.
Newark here.
Ok, back to o/t, love the apple crate idea. I know they come in small > super-sized versions. Would work very well in keeping kindling dry.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 15 Sep 2016 08:16

As a Boy Scout we use to use an old freezer laid in its back. We would disable lock mechanism and make sure door would open easy. Butt ugly but wood would stay bone dry. We did a lot of winter camping so having a ready supply of dry wood was vital. Snow was often a few feet when we got there

paulz
# Posted: 18 Sep 2016 12:44

^^ I'm generally a safety last kind of guy but just went to a fire prevention thing where it was advised not keeping combustibles up against the side of buildings. Like under the eves to keep it dry, where I keep my stuff.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 18 Sep 2016 14:45 - Edited by: KinAlberta

The fridge / freezer idea sounds good to me. Upright or on their backs. If it's white, just wrap in black plastic or landscape fabric and screw old fence boards to the front and sides to avoid the junkyard look. (Fabric would hide the white from showing between the boards and through knot holes.). Or if that makes it a combustion hazard, maybe metal roofing/siding panels. Might be fun to get creative.

Keeps the wasps out too.

Repurposed as an ice chest:

Someone had a lit of fun
VW bus fridge:

A couple of these as gate posts might bring smiles to a lot of faces.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.