Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hunting for NEW Cabin/Solar friendly Computer
Steve_S
# Posted: 28 Dec 2016 09:29

Good day again folks, well, another milestone as such I suppose. My laptop (Dell Studio 1558) has finally decided to retire (video chip failure) so I am now hunting for a GOOD REPLACEMENT that is reasonably low power (watts wise) but still performant for my needs. At present I am using my older Heavy Gaming System which is absolutely NOT Cabin / Solar power friendly as it uses 200 watts on idle alone... AMD 8 Core 3.6 Ghz with 32GB Ram & NVidia GTX-660-ti video ++.

I have been looking at the Intel NUC (fanless machines) and those ZOTAC and even the Asus Eee series. Many use the Celeron or Atom chips and more use the various "Mobile" processors up to i7 3.2 ghz.

I don't need a screen as I use my LG 47" LED TV as my screen which isn't a power pig @ 30w. Although newer models may use less. What I do need (want) is as follows:
8 GB Ram up to 16, Quad Core CPU up to 3ghz, internal SSD / HDD, High Definition Video out (Intel or NVidia) High Definition sound, Low Power Use to a max of 100 watt but less is better obviously. Portability is NOT essential or critical, as I would prefer to use a VESA mounting and attach it to the back of my Screen.

Does anyone have a Mini-PC / Fanless PC's that they can share their experience with ?

I have looked at numerous reviews, offerings by different manufacturer's and so far the best I can find which accommodates my requirements is the Intel NUC which uses 65W like this below which only needs RAM, SSD/HDD and operating system to complete it. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7BB35M3100

Thoughts, Ideas or Suggestions ?

creeky
# Posted: 28 Dec 2016 12:05

I like the Asus products. Oem win 10 saves money.

Watch that 1.4a hdmi spec. I don't know if you have 4k. But early hdmi is 4k at 30fps.

Intel graphics are notoriously poor. Anything radeon.etc will outperform if you're gaming.

Watch heat levels if attached to the back of the tv.

Still. That's a hotrod system. Ssd. 16gb. Yowza.

Steve_S
# Posted: 28 Dec 2016 12:36

I have used ASUS for many years and like them a lot BUT their ongoing support for utilities & driver's is quite lacking whereas Intel ,maintains their drivers & tools for many many years, hence why I am leaning that way. As for gaming, I don't. The reason I have the current heavy gaming system, is that I was developing Virtual World & Simulation Software which is far too heavy for a typical PC but I am no longer developing or coding software and not involved in VR development anymore, I no longer have need of such a best.

This is what I am running ATM which is NOT Cabin / Solar friendly: (Another Item to go into the Big Spring Yard Sale).

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8320E 26 °C (8-core 3.2 Ghz)
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Socket 942) 26 °C
Graphics
47LV4400 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 28 °C
Storage
223GB INTEL SSDSC2CT240A3 (SSD)
698GB Seagate ST750LX003-1AC154 (SATA) 23 °C
1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0820 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 31 °C
Optical Drives
PIONEER BD-RW BDR-208D
Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

creeky
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 12:21

Why not just get an android tv box then. Lower power draw. Some of the new ones look good.

Kinda like a solar system. Helps to define the need.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 15:30

We bought an ASUS transformer T100HA special for cabin and other portable uses after the cabib was burglarized. FYI, it is a Win 10 tablet with removable keyboard. 10.1" display, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB Storage + 64 GB microSD card. Superb battery life. Light weight, familiar O/S. Run one app at a time and it does everything we need it to do.

Along with that I bought Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q single tuner USB TV tuner for OTA tv at the cabin.

MtnDon
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 15:32

plus an ANKER bluetooth speaker for bettwr sound. works great

Wilbour
# Posted: 29 Dec 2016 21:57

Creeky,

I used a Raspberry Pi to create an Android "Like" system. It's not super powerful but it manages to stream TV stuff nicely

creeky
# Posted: 30 Dec 2016 22:56

Quoting: Wilbour
Raspberry Pi to create an Android "Like" system

you tech wiz. I'm way too lazy. I've got my eye on one of those android boxes. minix looks good. really tho. there are too many. man tho. 8 core cpus. separate gpus. 4k. etc. for under 100. Sheesh.

Are you using Kodi? I have it on my laptop. Movies galore. (When the girlfriends PVR didn't record the second episode of a two part Midsomer murders. I found it on Kodi. Who's the hero! ha ha.)

Better sound!!! I have Andrew Jones Pioneers running off a 20 watt Lepai. Man. Good sound makes such a difference.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Jan 2017 11:44 - Edited by: Steve_S

Well, after much research and comparisons on features, functions and bang for buck I went and did it and got myself a MINI and boy it's quite the bit of kit. NB: Canadian Prices are higher due to our dollar being at 0.74 USD so for our US friends, knock off 25% to compare

I looked at Zotac, Asus, and many more, which gave me a headache... Many companies make them but mostly target the commercial, industrial & retail markets. You see them on the back of the Monitors at cash registers, those weird little boxes are Mini-PC's (often Celeron or Atom based though).

Well, I got an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 DM 35W with the following basics: Intel i7-6700 Quad Core, 16GB Ram, 1TB Hard Disk. It comes with Blue Tooth & WIFI as well. Shipped with both Windows 7.1 Pro/64 & Windows-10 Pro/64, you pick during setup. Comes with basic USB Keyboard & Mouse as well AND with a full 3 Year Warranty by HP (and they are excellent with any warranty issues, know from exp). The EliteDesk is a TOUGH commercial grade machine and is MIL-STD 810G tested @ certified. When you open it up you immediately see how tough & solid this thing is, shock mounts, bushings, nylon slides etc.... they are designed to last a long time in tough environments and it shows.

NOTES: You need an external DVD / BluRay drive to install the software. Video Out is with a Display Port so you'll need an adapter to connect to your HDMI port on a LED TV or whatever (cheap)

The BEST PART... REG: 1099.00 with 8GB Ram and I got it on sale for $699 * Similar pricing avail on Amazon. Staples lists the machine (slightly different) @ $899

Installation was no problem, HP paper Docs do suck terribly but you should download the docs from their website first. It's ultra quiet (it does have a small fan) which is barely noticeable when you put ear next to box. It is quite fast and responsive and the video is quite good actually.

POWER: Well it goes from 35 to 65 Watts depending on demand which is quite amazing. Will be testing & monitoring that and may report back if anyone is interested.

Here is an AMAZON.COM list of them from Low to High price if anyone is interested in comparing.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Jan 2017 20:20

Just a quick report on power usage...

I have the satellite modem (25w) my LG 47" LED TV (screen) and the Mini PC plugged into my Cyberpower UPS. This UPS has digital display for watts, volts, hz etc.. so it provides what it's getting in and what is going out, quite accurate.

This setup is now running between 94 - 105 watts depending on load as the mini-pc cycles up / down but it is more often on the lower side. Not Bad I think.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.