Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / freezing water tanks
krstrout1
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 13:38

We will have our NY cabin completed this summer and I have a question about water storage. I fill up my from a stream so I have no underground pipes to worry about. but My 250 gal plastic tanks in a metal cage will be in a room that is insulated on the top, bottom and all sides to include the door. Do I need to drain the tanks or if I leave 200 gals of water in it will it freeze completely. I will blow out all water lines and drains.

Ken

NorthRick
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 14:04

Assuming the room is unheated, insulate the tank before the room. Even then it's tough to say if it would eventually freeze without more information.

Shadyacres
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 14:10

Don't know if it will freeze solid enclosed but I know I have some for rainwater collection in central PA and they freeze solid if a cold stretch. Now they are outside so you may be ok depending on how long between visits and thawing.

Just
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 14:25

It will freeze 8 out of ten years unless you bury it
IMO

bobrok
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 17:48

I'd ask how far upstate are you? Southern NY, eh, may get away with it 2 out of 3 times, but why chance it?

Northern or Central/Western NY, no way Jose!

Been there, done that.

DaveBell
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 18:20

Just +1

I have a hillside to use so I plan on burying a 4000 gallon tank about half way to use earth heat to keep it from freezing.

hueyjazz
# Posted: 31 Jan 2017 18:36

Insulation slows a temperature change but will not prevent it. With no additional heat being added to system, the inner environment will acclimate to the outer environment. Those poly tanks will stretch a bit but you are taking chances for it to split if water is allowed to freeze.

krstrout1
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 07:24

Thank you to all that responded to my post. That's what makes this site so great. Headed to NY from FL Friday for a four day cabin weekend getaway.

Cheers everyone.

ramloui
# Posted: 1 Feb 2017 08:04

Even if you drain the lines, the tank stub out where it is connected to your piping will freeze before everything else and split. You need to drain everything and leave valves open.

Cheers!

JosephV
# Posted: 22 Feb 2017 01:02

This winter was not very good for us because the pipes in our cabin were frozen. We were really clueless in that situation. Then my wife found some tips online to unfreeze the pipes. Here is the link to that article http://www.brothersplumbing.ca/blog/frozen-pipe/pipes-freeze-brothers-plumbing-compan y/. This helped us a lot to unfreeze the pipes. Hope you'll find it useful too.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.