Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Panel Concepts - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences
future_YOOPER
# Posted: 21 Dec 2010 14:39

Just saw the Forum and love it already!

I plan on buying land and building a year around cabin/home in Northern Michigan. I saw the Panel Concepts webiste and the cabins look like a good idea. Just wondered if anybody had any experience with them or similar "modular" kit type cabins.

My main concerns are:
1. Longevity- I would like my Grandkids to enjoy it in 30-50 years. Will a kit cabin still be standing then?

2. Weatherability - The area gets on average 70-130 inches of snow per year. Can a kit cabin withstand that weather for years?

Any comments or suggestions on a year around cabin, under $65,000 for materials ( I plan to build the majority of it myself) that could endure harsh winters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

larry
# Posted: 28 Dec 2010 22:33

yes, i have one and i love it. you can see pics of it on this sight. well built and easy to assemble. some models are insulated. if you should call panel concepts tell John i said hi.
cabin
cabin
inside
inside

future_YOOPER
# Posted: 29 Dec 2010 09:29

Larry, thanks for the response. Your cabin looks awesome! What size is it? The deck looks great. But my wife was wondering what you did to keep water from seeping under the wall, we were thinking maybe a flashing or something like that would work.
I'm researching a 20 x 40 insulated kit with the 12/12 pitch steel roof, on a concrete slab, so I could use radiant heat in the floor and an outdoor wood fired boiler.
Where's your cabin? I'm looking at a piece of property in Schoolcraft County, in the UP about 1 1/2 hours west of the bridge. Wondered if the winter would be miserablly cold inside. The insulated ones are 6 inches thick, seems like enough insulation to me.
Thanks again!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Dec 2010 10:30

Wow, great looking cabin!

larry
# Posted: 29 Dec 2010 21:03

there is a foam seal under the wall, used more often in wood on cement construction. SCHOOLCRAFT.... build near seney, i love it there! i goofed when i said in a earlier post it was 16x32, it is 12x32 in west branch.. i think 6 inch walls would have plenty of insulation. thank you toyota tech.

future_YOOPER
# Posted: 30 Dec 2010 13:08

I'm looking at 100 acres just off 77 near Germfask, right behind Seney.....planning for it to be my retirement home!

larry
# Posted: 31 Dec 2010 20:06

Great place to retire . Who knows maybe I'll run into you there.

Saabu
# Posted: 1 Dec 2021 20:28

Hi Larry are you still active on this Forum? i can't find you via Search...but found this thread. i just wanted to talk to you about your pole-barn foundation technique as its pretty rare and i want to do the same thing versus concrete piles or what have you.
Please advise,
Wayne in Calgary Canada

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.