Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Question about wool rugs vs. machine-made for floor
justins7
# Posted: 15 Feb 2017 13:31

I recently bought a small cabin in the woods. It's barely insulated and the wood floor is pretty cold, so I am going to buy a few large rugs to cover the floor.

I get to the cabin maybe every 3 weeks or so for the weekend and I'm wondering:
Am I just looking for insect trouble if I buy wool rugs?
Wool has so many advantages, but I'm concerned about insects.

I have wool rugs at home, but I can clean them and watch out for moths, etc. But in the woods it would be a different thing.

Anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

creeky
# Posted: 15 Feb 2017 23:28

I've not had any trouble with wool rugs.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 15 Feb 2017 23:32

Probably also depends on your location as to whether moths etc. are an issue. And on how tight your cabin is (although nothing can keep all the bugs out).

old greybeard
# Posted: 16 Feb 2017 06:53

No issues with our wool oval rugs.

justins7
# Posted: 16 Feb 2017 08:58

Thank you for your replies.

Maybe it's not a problem, but they can be expensive so I just want to make sure.

TerraLove
# Posted: 16 Feb 2017 12:12

The only insect I know to beware of would be moth. Use moth balls and you should be fine.

MtnDon
# Posted: 16 Feb 2017 14:25

If you smell the odor of mothballs, you are inhaling insecticide.

Just because my Mom and Grandma used moth balls in storing woolens does not make it good for me/us.

justins7
# Posted: 16 Feb 2017 16:47

It's true.... The previous owner of my cabin dumped hundreds of mothballs all over the place and it's been hard to get rid of that smell (and it probably doesn't even deter moths).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.