Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / 12 volt on demand water pump and on demand gas water heater
Magnum PI
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 15:33

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting and the questions I have I'm sure have been asked before but here goes anyway. I have a small 20'x20' cabin off grid that I am trying to get finished. I just need to get my water hooked up. I would like to get opinions on what size "gpm" water pump to use and what brand. I know I can get something from Harbor Freight for cheap but afraid they won't hold up. Shurflow pumps are good but more expensive. My brother-in-law thinks I should get something in the 7 gpm range. I think that is over kill and believe a 3 gpm would work. I will just be furnishing water to a bathroom with shower,toilet and sink for now with a small kitchen sink later on. I only use the cabin 2 or 3 weeks out of the year. Now to the water heater. I would like a propane on demand water heater that would hook up to a 20 lb propane tank. I would like one that uses a class b flue or pvc pipe to vent it. I have seen the kind used in rvs that you have to mount through the wall with a door on the outside. I would rather not use this kind due to the problems cutting into the wall. I have ribbed barn metal on the inside and outside. Another question is that I see a lot of the small on demand heaters are limited to 3 gpm so would a 7 gpm pump put to much pressure on the heater? Or do they have some sort of check valve? I will be using a 55 gallon barrel for my water source. I know this is a long post but would like to see what others have to say. Thanks in advance.

spoofer
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 15:40

I think the 3 gpm would be more than fine.

bldginsp
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 16:07

I agree with spoofer, the 3gpm will be fine, but only for one use at a time, not a problem in a cabin that gets used little.

The on-demand water heaters that use a pvc flu are the ultra high efficient ones that require 120v current to operate a fan. Probably not an option. You could find a natural draft B-vent type, which allows you to have the water heater inside, or get an outside unit and plumb to the inside. That's what I did for my little bath house- the shower handle comes in through the window, and there's a hot water pipe to the sink.
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG

rayyy
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 16:24

Here is my set up that works fine for me.I have my 250gal.water tank setting in the corner of my bathroom. (reason is I live in a cold weather climate)the 12 volt pump is a 1 1/2 gal per min. Pump.The on demand hot water heater is an Ecco temp L7.I get in the shower,reach out and turn on the water to the heater.It takes about 6 seconds to ignite and be hot water.Yes I let it vent inside but it really is burning no more propane than my kitchen range does with 2 burners going.pluss I've got plenty of fresh air in the area pluss I take a quick shower.my kitchen sink and bathroom sink are hooked to it also.The one thing to warn you about is you must take out or drain the heater and drain the pump if you leave it in freezing tempitures.(I turned one into Swiss cheese!)
IMG_20170301_1558201.jpg
IMG_20170301_1558201.jpg
IMG_20170301_1558392.jpg
IMG_20170301_1558392.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 18:58

so I run an L10 off a 250gal tote to my shower, and kitchen and bathroom sink with a 2.9gpm Flojet pump. It works wonderfully. My only issue is that I put a set of taps in the shower, but can only run the hot and adjust the temp on the L10 if needed. Not a big deal, but would be nice to run the L10 on a higher temp and be able to turn on a bit of cold inside the shower if needed as opposed to reaching out to adjust. If I turn on some cold, there isn't enough water flow and the heater shuts off.

I like the setup so much that I wanted a spare pump in case of a pump failure. So I bought a 5.5gpm pump just to give me the option to adjust water taps. But all that being said, 2.9gpm is tonnes of water flow for a shower and taps. Not all at the same time, but how often does that happen. As long as nobody runs water while someone is in the shower, its not an issue.

I run my L10 inside also, again, short duration, no sleeping in the shower in case of CO buildup, but I have yet to measure any in my bathroom. Not recommending it, clearly against all the safety warnings on the unit. But I like to live on the edge, and want to have a shower even when its below freezing out.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 1 Mar 2017 21:28

We use a shurflow and a on demand water heater, all supplied from a rain cistern. You can check out this video if you want to see the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funUNu9zVLQ

Atlincabin
# Posted: 2 Mar 2017 09:16

I do similarly - water holding tank with shurflo pump feeding an EZTankless heater and it works just fine. Pump can be found online for about $60. Harbor Freight pumps are garbage. I've had two (bought one for a spare originally because they were cheap!) and, in addition to being very loud, both self-destructed in short order.

Magnum PI
# Posted: 3 Mar 2017 09:43

Thanks for all of the input guys. I really appreciate it. Rayyy I really like the tank you have there. Might have to look into something like that as well. I was going to set a 55 gallon barrel out side on a stand for water supply but would really like it inside. It just wont fit in the closet in the bathroom. I only have 20 inches of room inside that closet. I deer hunt out of my cabin in Nov. and Dec. and it can get pretty cold out."southern Missouri Ozarks" I am beginning to think I should have done more research on this before I built the cabin. When I started out I didnt' think much about the water heater. I thought I would be able to buy a B vent regular water heater with a five gallon tank but have found they only come that size in electric models. I think the on demand heater will best fit my needs. I agree with you Rayyy and Fishhog that venting would not be a problem with the short duration run time. I think I will follow my brother in laws advice and get a bigger one. He has put a lot of free time in on helping me get the cabin built. I will probably go with 5 gpm. I have the taps in my shower also. your post helped me make up my mind FishHog. Thanks again for all of the help.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.