Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / New member Introducing myself
Kamn
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 09:30

Just thought I would say Hello to you all since I have been lurking here for a while and reading all this wonderfull information and personal experiences that are shared.
My wife and I live in Ontario Canada and we just purchase a 100 acre lot that we are planning on building an off grid cabin on where we would like to retire to one day

Cheers
Kameron

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 10:13

Hey Kameron,

I have an off grid cabin in Ontario too. There seems to be a lot of forum members from Ontario here. I've had my cabin for about 18 months and have been working towards fixing up with the hopes of it being able to be there at least half time in retirement. Too bad retirement is still a distant light at the end of a long tunnel.

What region of Ontario is your land?

Good luck!

Kamn
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 10:53

Hi KelVarnsen,
yeah that was something I noticed as well....lots of Ontario members
The land is 5 minutes north of Apsley, so North Kawartha
We are still working on how we can trade what we have in the city (Whitby ON) and retire early to live a simpler life. Both my wife and myself would trade it all now but then we aren't left with much after and it would be nice to have a little buffer in the bank
We are thinking something along the lines of 600 sqft foot print with a loft which I think would be considered 1-1/2 story and meet their building size requirements, solar power, well water, and septic system ( wife would like some comforts like not pooping in a freezing outhouse ), and wood heating

Just
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 13:35

Wellcome Kamn ..old retired ontarian here , I believe that
there is a rule about ceiling hight
and sq. footage in ontaro sounds like a good life plan ,keep in touch
just

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 15:21

Welcome

We are just south of you. We bought about 5 years ago and have been building ever since, Good luck with yours!

Kamn
# Posted: 10 Mar 2017 15:44

OntarioLakeside,
if you have any tips to pass on about building in that area, it would appreciated. Also, happen to know of anybody out that ways with some heavy machinery to help with making a clearing? Ive got my chainsaw but will need someone to grade and pull stumps

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Mar 2017 11:34 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Kamn
Ive got my chainsaw but will need someone to grade and pull stumps

Just a little chunk of advice when you cut a tree, if it leaves a stump you'd like to remove, leave the stuff 3, 4 feet tall. Makes it so much easier to pull it out with a truck. Just lay a big blanket or a large wet blanket so if the chain ir cable slips off or breaks, it dont fly back and damge the tug tig or hurt a person.

Smaller saplings up to 3" can be removed with a tool like this one: http://www.pullerbear.com/

The real big stuff, a dozer, but if you can do as much of the smaller stuff yourself, this will make it quick for a dozer operator.

Welcome aboard Kamn, good luck with your project. I have mine from beginning to current in the thread located here at: http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_431_0.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.