Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Materials list
old_fart
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 11:45

Stupid question.
I purchased the plans for the Whitehorse 2 cabin from Townandcountryplans.com.
I took the copy of the plans to Home Depot to get a materials list.
When I dropped them off they said the only way they do materials lists anymore is if you pay $200.
Is this correct? Do stores now charge this much to compile a materials list?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 12:03

I built the Whitehorse and went to a real lumberyard and they sent me the full materials list, no charge, not even obligated to buy from them, but I did. Nice folks. This was in 08 and it was about 3700 dollars. This is NO OSB, all real plywood and also real plywood siding (the plan shows beveled siding) an I changed my exterior studs to 2X6 vs the 2X4 shown. Go to a real lumberyard and have them do it and let them know if the prices are within reason, they will also get the business.

I just contacted the local lumberstore where I was building, scanned and sent them via email all the plans, they sent me back a full materials list in a PDF. They included everything ie windows, treated wood, decking, tyvek, vapor barrier, felt for roof. It didn't include the front door or the roofing.

Make changes now. I also used a 36" front door too vs the smaller one shown.

Good luck, holler if you need more help

Steve_S
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 12:07

Well, maybe wander on down to other suppliers and see what they'll do. Customer Service is no longer 1st priority for companies. Now taking a plan without a full list already and calculating how much of what is needed to build project X is no simple task and it takes a LOT of time & effort.

I don't know about the plan package you got but many provide a spreadsheet of sorts which tell you how many pieces of what you will need for the structure. They typically will not include what is considered "consumables" like nails, screws, adhesives, sealants etc... just building material and usually do not allow for extra which you must add yourself.

If you have the plans in hand and can figure out how many pieces of 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, sheathing etc, make a spreadsheet / table with the different pieces itemised such as:
2x4x8' - 22 pcs
2x4x10 - 5 pcs
2x6x8 - 14 pcs
2x6x10 - 10 pcs
7/16 OSB Sheathing - 28 pcs
5/8 OSB T&G - 10pcs

Looking at http://townandcountryplans.com/whorse2.html it does not appear to supply a Material List sheet.

old_fart
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 12:13

Well I just called the only mom and pop lumber yard within a 50 mile radius. Super nice people.They said no charge for the materials list and even are sending an outside sales rep over to my house to pick up the blue prints.
Now that is customer service. No more chain stores for me after that

old_fart
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 12:20

Toyota I do agree that a 36 inch door is a necessary upgrade.
The other change is I want dormers on both sides to make the upstairs more usable.
This is actually going to be my retirement home and I want it to be as nice and user friendly as possible.
I have looked over so many cabins over the last year and this one appears to fit my needs the best.
Looking forward to getting this started asap

Kamn
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 13:35

I wish we went back to mom and pop stores again, so much better than big box

old_fart
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 14:24

We have a 20 thousand budget for this project.
Electric pole,Well and septic are already on our land.
Time is the thing I am limited on.
I want to have this thing dried in in the next 6 weeks.

Summer is fast approaching and I want to be there for the summer.Life is too short to waste time dreaming.I don't want to dream about this I want to live it

bldginsp
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 14:37

36" front door is required for a residence. But anything smaller and you will never get a refrigerator in the door.

My experience with big box stores is hit or miss. They've been very helpful ordering unusual stuff sometimes, but you have to get used to the fact that they are a big bureaucracy and the left little toe has no idea what the right ear lobe is doing. In the middle of the big city here where I live I found a little mom and pop hardware store where the guy spent 1/2 hour to help me find $15 worth of little fittings. I'll go back for sure.

Just
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 17:08

Did you not get a materials list with the plan .I just sent one for a bunky to 3 lumber yards (including Home Depot) .They bid it no problem .they lost !! (Ontaro Canada)..there is a big differance between a plan and a materal list .mom and pop was 500$ less
and much better to deal with !!

rockies
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 19:26

Ask them is they will deduct the cost of the estimate from the purchase order. They're doing it because they don't want to spend hours building you a quote that might be used to shop for things all over town. if they know you're going to be buying everything from them they should do it.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 15 Mar 2017 20:09 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: old_fart
Toyota I do agree that a 36 inch door is a necessary upgrade.
The other change is I want dormers on both sides to make the upstairs more usable.

Bingo, I was going to do the exact same thing ie a shed dormer at each end. Dont be afraid to make the existing dormers wider too. I was also going to add a window at both gable ends upstairs. I actually bought those plans myself and decided against the second floor later on. I cleaned up my floor plan a bit on the bottom. Feel free to use whiteout and make adjustments. Do this before submitting the plans. If you are in a cold area, do the 2X6 stud walls. And make rafter bays deep enough to get the insulation in place but still having an air space with vents at each end of the rafter bays.

I also removed the crawl space access from outside and added a trap door inside. Makes for loads of nice dry secure storage too. In yours, I'd put the trap door at the bottom of the ladder to the loft.

Take a peek at my project. Being as its the exact same plan you have minus second floor, might find it interesting.

I might add, they delivered the full lumber pkg at the build site, was there a day before I showed up. Huge job breaking open the lumber to organize it etc. Separate treated, get studs, then 2X6's in their own pile, wall sheeting, floor panels all separated.

This is the folks I got my original lumber pkg from,
http://www.midwaybuilding.com/midway/
the rest was all obtained at a Home Depot which was brand new in the area after 4 yrs of fighting with the city council. I was pleased. I spent an extra 1K that week on extras and upgrades.

I built mine finished for about 14K, keep in mind, I went whole hog on everything, could of been done much less than what I spent. I spared no expense on it and I made it illegal to even have OSB on my property. Still applies.

Your budget of 20K will not be a problem. I had a dried in shell in 9 days, was myself and one helper. I only sub'd out the full footing/stem-wall foundation and the metal on the roof. I did absolutely everything else myself.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_431_0.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.