Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Hello
KabinKat
# Posted: 24 Mar 2017 22:40

Hello All,

New member, been a lurker for a long while.

Great stuff here!!! =)

bldginsp
# Posted: 25 Mar 2017 00:42

Welcome! Tell us about your cabin, even if it's still in your dreams, like mine was for 10 years before I drove a nail.

Wendigolake
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 12:22

Welcome KabinKat! Everyone is welcome in our cabin community here. As bldginsp says, "Tell us about your cabin". We have members on here with fully finished cabins but most of us here are in the never ending cycle of building, renovating and up grading our cabins. I myself am building a 2 story 800 sq ft addition on to my main cottage (which I am renovating too). Been at this "current project" for 8 years now.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 12:39

Yes, no such thing as done or finished, you are just at a resting point if you are stopped. Soon to start again.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 18:18

Toyota....I like the way you put that. My "resting point" is waiting for the funds to catch up in my cabin account!!! Even when you do the work yourself, its not cheap, eh!
Cheers...and welcome KabinKat.

Borrego
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 09:50

Where are you KK? Welcome!

Sheeterdan
# Posted: 28 Mar 2017 11:05

Hello, I to have been Lurker for awhile. I been looking for my piece of heaven in or around Adams county ohio.i don't think my wife is as kin to the idea as I a.. but I think she's coming around on what she like and wants for the hunting cabin. She thinks I am going to hurt myself or something. I am 61 yr and I have left BK( below knee amputation) Prosthics. Hey get around just as well as anyone else ,but on latter not so well. So we ate thinking this through maybe a Amish cabin to start with and a little barn. But finding the right land seems to be tricky.

KabinKat
# Posted: 8 Apr 2017 21:08

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. I'm in Central Calif. Yeah, not the best place for off grid stuff.....=)

Looking to build a small 12x 10 or so cabin for weekends, etc.

Still in dream stage, looking for a few acres is where I'm at.

I've built a few sheds nothing much more, but I'm looking forward to doing most or all myself.

Thanks again!

KabinKat
# Posted: 9 Apr 2017 16:03

A bit more of my story if anyone's really bored...

Until about 12 years ago, I leased a cabin on 160 acres in California for many years with several buddies. Yeah, we were very lucky, it was cheap.

The tiny cabin was off-grid, nice little picnic/firepit area and had an outhouse with a flushable toilet (spring fed).

I also used to hunt, camp and fish a ton since I was a kid. Now, recently I have access to a modern on grid cabin, but.....too many people about, not enough nature. I still camp solo several times a year, but I really want my own property-solitude, quiet, etc. =)

I'm ex-military, and I don't mind spending some time off the grid, in fact, I like it a lot. I'm not a total pioneer, as I do like some modern amenities. But I've spent a lot of time outdoors and I want to keep doing that. I've also rented several cabins for vacations, but that just gets me green with envy(and drains my bank). =)

So, here I am looking for my own tiny slice of Heaven again.... I want to replicate what I had and maybe a bit more. Nothing fancy, rustic is my middle name!

I really enjoy seeing all the great cabins/outdoors here, its a great inspiration!

Thanks for listening!

Bexeler
# Posted: 9 Apr 2017 16:12

I hope you find that slice of heaven you are looking for.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Apr 2017 21:37

KabinKat, welcome and thanks for your service to our great nation. It's appreciated.

Yes, first step, find that chunk of land. Cally can be restrictive, ie CalFire, we just had a thread on this. But going in with this info makes it much easier. Good luck on your search for that slice of heaven.

Borrego
# Posted: 9 Apr 2017 21:56

I'm in Kali too and it can be restrictive...but it can easily be done. Check out your zoning/code enforcement in different areas and see where it is easier....lots of BLM land surrounding you makes it easier, and obviously the farther you are from an urban area, the better as well...good luck and don't stop dreamin big

KabinKat
# Posted: 15 Apr 2017 20:40

Hello again all,

I really appreciate the encouragement and replies. It helps keep me motivated! Weather is getting nicer here, I will be looking at some land and keeping the dream alive!

Thanks,

KK

KabinKat
# Posted: 30 Sep 2017 15:30 - Edited by: KabinKat

Hello again,

Well, I looked at another parcel recently. Didn't turn out right. The land wasn't right, just the lay of the land, not much flat areas at all and getting equipment, lumber close would be tough. Price was also high for not much usable land in my opinion as well.

Checking another small parcel next week, 7 acres. I'll let you know. Lots of great building going on I see, thanks for all the inspiration!

KK

deercula
# Posted: 30 Sep 2017 19:41

KK, keep looking! Many of us spent literally years hunting for just the right parcel. I wouldn't settle as I planned to keep what I bought forever. You will know it when you see it. Good luck!

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 13:49

Yes, keep looking and don't settle...it is out there...We waited for years to get some land in a certain area, went to the County Tax rolls, sent out letters, etc...until one day there it was. The energy you spend looking will be worth it. Don't ignore certain types of terrain, you'll be surprised at what can happen. We were never looking for any hilly, let alone mountainous land, but ended up with it and can't imagine now how we could have wanted anything different.

Where in Central Cali are you? Just curious how far away you are?

KabinKat
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 14:00 - Edited by: KabinKat

Hi Borrego & Deercula!

Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I'm in Stanislaus County, just south of Modesto.

Tax rolls, letters....sounds like a good way of extending potential sources, thanks!

I just spent a few days at a friends cabin. On grid, full amenities, etc. Great place and a great friend, but I want my own off grid, more remote place....

You know...

Thanks for the info and encouragement!

KK

Borrego
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 14:37

Should be some good land prospects up where you are.....I was just up the 99 at Bakersfield a couple weeks ago, love that town...

When you find your land ask advice on this site about construction styles, there are lots of options......

KabinKat
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 15:13

Borrego,

Will do! When I find my land....I'll have a lot of questions...

Yes, I was down there near Bakersfield earlier this Summer for a few days. I'm 3 hrs from there, had a job interview a few yrs ago...was liking the land availability there.

Yes, plenty of land up here!

KabinKat
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 17:51

Well,

The last property I looked at was a bust. Location wasn't right, not much "usable" land. Didn't like the real estate person much either. Too hidden fees, too many negatives...

Still looking though!

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 07:16

Quoting: Borrego
The energy you spend looking will be worth it.

it is

it was

write Borrego's words on yer bathroom mirror

it's out there

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 09:06

Took me a long time, many many miles and a LOT of gas and a LOT of let downs before I accidentally came upon the property I have now... Came close a couple of times but just didn't "feel" right and that feeling turned out well warranted too as I discovered on 2 properties I had considered later on.

Hang in there... You'll find it and it will feel right and you'll know it. Just don't limit yourself and keep an open mind. Realty Listings are usually a basic guide and 75% fluff to flog the property so always take whatever is said and even written about said land with a good grain of salt.

Never trust a realty agent, they only care about the % they can get off the sale and most wouldn't know the difference between a 2x4 or 2x6 or what a flood plain really means. They are the Poly Clad used car salesman flogging that Nice Car a little old lady from Pasadena drove only on Sundays to church & back...

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 09:08

Quoting: Steve_S
They are the Poly Clad used car salesman flogging that Nice Car a little old lady from Pasadena drove only on Sundays to church & back...

lol
so true

KabinKat
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 11:55

Haha!

Yes, so true!!! If you were gonna cast someone as a fast talking, shyster, that agent was it!!

Amen, and thanks all!

bushbunkie
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 14:48

We were lucky we got a great real estate guy to work with us....as Steve says though...be careful...not all are great when a commission is on the line.
I called up a guy and laid it out what we wanted and asked if he was interested in working with us...basically I said my wife and I are coming up to the Bruce Peninsula next Saturday and find us as many properties to visit as possible in this price range and acreage. I said we were just starting out and wanted to gauge the market but no promises and no hurry for us. He said great...see you Saturday.
It was a great time - 70 year old former bush pilot turned real estate guy - born and raised in the area who knew every nook and cranny including who was thinking of selling their properties before they were even on the market!
We saw about 15 properties - most with potential - when we left to come home he simply said Good Luck and call me anytime if you need me - his vehicle his gas all weekend.
Funny thing...on the way home we actually found our dream property ourselves without anyone's help. This gentleman showed us such great service, I called him up and asked if he wanted to be our agent to get this property - barter process - he was very happy - it was worth paying it forward so he receive the commission. He checked in months later to ensure the process was completed to our satisfaction and asked about how the "dream" was progressing. I am all about rewarding great customer service - mainly because I don't see much of it anymore. Here's hoping you have the same luck, KabinKat!

KabinKat
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 19:06

Hi Bushbunkie!

Sounds you found the right place and the right person!
That is great! Aye, I agree, I have no problem with rewarding great customer service.

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story!

KK

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.