Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Comfortable Suede work boots?
Borrego
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 21:52

I usually wear Merrill Mid Moab hiking boots...super comfortable, but only last about a year..So I really like suede boots, just had to throw out a 10 year old pair of wolverine boots, they were literally falling apart....
Any advice on a good quality work/daily wear boot, mid height, in suede?

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 21:55

Quoting: Borrego
super comfortable

You find 'em, let me know
I'm lookin' too

frankpaige
# Posted: 26 Mar 2017 23:34

Not suede? But?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041FHZ80/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9 325&creativeASIN=B0041FHZ80&linkCode=as2&tag=smacab-20&linkId=SYRJQGQ3DUI7GZ6F
If needed water gaiters

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 00:38 - Edited by: Gary O

Thank you, Frank, but not too encouraged from the reviews;

'Comfort: Well, I've only worn them on 2 hikes, one 18 miler and one 26 miler. They seem reasonable comfortable and broke in quickly. I had a couple of minor annoyances on the first hike around the collar, but since I didn't notice them on the second hike, I attribute that to the break-in. A little more padding would be nice, but no worse than any other booth that I tried out. Maybe a pair of insoles will fix that'.

I could pay much less (at Payless?) and buy insoles..

again, thanks, but still shopping

Jebediah
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 07:19

Merrell, Asolo and Oakley. We would get free trials, companies were throwing their gear at us. Most of SOF guys will swear by the brands mentioned along with Converse and Danner. After walking and running hundreds and I mean hundreds of miles I will swear by Asolo as a multi terrain, but they are very pricey and you will really only know if they are great for you after wearing them everyday for a few weeks to a month.

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 08:20

Well, I don't mean to take over Borrego's thread, but when I read his description of 'super comfortable', well, him and I are one on this.

I really don't care what price
Not when I'm in 'em every waking moment
Here on the forest floor, it don't seem to matter so much, but, man, in town...Walmart, concrete hell, where finding yer woman is akin to a Naked and Afraid episode, my dogs commence to bark like they'd treed a puma.

Thanks, Jeb
I'll be reading their reviews

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 09:25

Quoting: Gary O
I really don't care what price
Not when I'm in 'em every waking moment

Yep, I shoulda said..money is not important, I want/need boots that are there like a second skin every day. Must be good for hiking and even sports, yet tough enough to withstand the rigors of a construction site!

Merrell has been awesome but a compromise an I need to find the right boot, they gotta be out there!

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 09:38

Found these...they appear to have the comfort angle all beat. Anyone heard of them?

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-wild-boar-waterproof-boots-39216.aspx

Cowracer
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 09:46

Me personally.... I will only wear Hy-Test work boots. They are (other than being heavier) on par in comfort with my New Balance sneakers. I can stand/walk/work all day in them and never have an issue with my feet. The back is another story, lol...

The pair I am wearing at this minute are roughly 7 years old, 2 in a lead smelter, 2 in a coke furnace, 2 in a silica sand mine and one so far in a chemical plant. They wear like iron. I'm a fairly big guy, and I used to be bigger (Like 385 lbs) and finding boots that don't mash out the heels is tough. These don't but the heels have enough give as to not shock your knees when you walk.

I'm afraid I'll have to trash my old friends soon. That year in a silica plant sucked all the moisture out of the leather, no matter how many times I treated them with conditioner. The leather is starting to crack where they bend.

But, I have 2 more pair, still new in the box sitting in the closet ready to go

Tim

paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 10:42

What's the advantage of suede?

NorthwoodsGuy
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 11:08

Have you looked at Red Wing? Pricey, but American made, high quality, durable.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 11:55

Spendy, but rebuildable and completely custom... You can read/watch lots of reviews of them. Wranglerstar did a bit about them if you follow his Youtube channel.

http://nicksboots.com/

Borrego
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 21:44

Gary - Have you looked at these?
http://www.danner.com/productfamily/mountain-600/men:hike/

frankpaige
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 21:50

18 miles! 26 miles! Not what I call around the house boot wear!

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Mar 2017 22:25

Quoting: Borrego
Gary - Have you looked at these?

Yes, a strong consideration.

We've got some high end shops 50 mi south of our cabin, and 100 mi north.
My dogs are gonna quit barkin' by end of spring.

Jebediah
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 07:06

Danner are great boots as mentioned(Borrego), if they make a vibram sole even better, I had a pair but were strictly for mountain terrain(hard sole). I liked them because you can retread the hard soles and they also come with a steel toe. Just remember socks are also very important in combination with good insoles. The problem with boots,socks there are just too many to choose from now. We didn't like Salomon, the laces were breaking and very uneven lacing system.

Gary O
# Posted: 29 Mar 2017 09:16 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: Jebediah
The problem with boots,socks there are just too many to choose from now.

Ain't that the truth.

Whatever I get, I want 'em to be rebuildable.

50 years ago, had a pair of moc toe boots that finally wore out.
They were so very comfy.
Never have found comfy ones since

sad now

not about the boots

but about being able to say anything related to me and 50 years ago....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.