Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dug well COVER
Eddy G
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 13:09 - Edited by: Eddy G

The water source at our cabin is a shallow 25' deep dug well.
Its about 55" long x 33 " wide.... ledge on the bottom and lined with blocks...I'm guessing it was originally dug in the 60's.
When we bought the place the well only set at ground level with a sheet of plywood covering it, with the water hose run along the ground and down to a pump.
A really bad way to do it.
Last year I extended the block walls 3 to 4' above grade..Drilled holes for the water and electrical lines on the side above the ground until they run underground up hill and under the cabin. I also installed a double filtration system in to remove particulate if any....I'm thinking of using 20 and 5 micron filters and see how it goes.... The water is for washing, cleaning, etch... not drinking as we bring in water jugs for that.

Anyway I need to make a cover... but of what?
Its kind of big for concrete, it would weight a ton.
Wood is a no go for lots of reason and so is metal for the most part but an aluminum sheet metal cap may be okay...

I was thinking a 3/4 sheet of PVC would be great but I haven't been able to locate any locally.... online prices are all over the place and its hard to know exactly what your getting without seeing it.

Anyone have anything like this, an option or suggestions.

The cabin and well are not accessible by vehicle. We are sort of difficult to get to. We drive through the woods on a private road about 1/3 of a mile.
We have a parking area at the end of the road.
From the parking area we walk about 150' along a boardwalk along and over a small gap in the pond then another 150' or so up a hill to the cabin...
Not the easiest thing but it is private lol...

bldginsp
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 14:24 - Edited by: bldginsp

Build a shed roof over it and roof it with metal or asphalt?

You said that your pipe comes through the wall above ground- these days usually this is done underground and below the frost line to avoid freezing, and also protects the pipe from damage.

Might talk to your local health dept. and see if they have ideas. Maybe with some improvements you could drink it. But in general shallow wells are more likely to get surface bacteria in them. My well is drilled 400 feet deep through ancient volcanic lava and gravel, and then into serpentine bedrock, water is clean and delicious as can be. But it cost around $25,000....

Eddy G
# Posted: 2 Apr 2017 19:43

There is no way to (economically) to drill a well at this time and even if we did it would be a major pain in the azz to keep water running in the winter months.
We're cool with the fact that we'll need to shut it down in Oct and start it back up in April... Its just the way it has to be...
We'll just have to rough it through the winter ...not that big a deal really...

sparky30_06
# Posted: 3 Apr 2017 10:40

simple single slope roof with metal siding. Minimal material with framing on 24" centers. Might be able to build it at home then strap it to a 2 wheel dolly and drag it or just team carry it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.