Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Generator Timer
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 00:36

I have a parcel on the edge of the desert. I'm installing a well shortly. If it's like the neighbors, it will be about 100 feet deep. I'm wanting to plant aspens and a small patch of grass to keep the dust down. My problem is it's off grid. So, I'm trying to figure out a way to pump water to a couple rain bird sprinklers mid week when I'm gone. I have a honda 3000 generator. I was wondering if anyone has heard of a timer switch that one could program to turn on for an hour a couple times a week. I'm also researching solar pumps but they seem spendy and not sure they would yield that volume of water.

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 20:46

My neighbors well is far from his house, for years he used a generator with an electric start and a timer to pump water into his tank 1000 feet away. All he had to do was make sure it didn't run out of gas. Then someone stole his gasoline. So eventually he got a grid tie electrical service, but his pump is still on a timer so he doesn't have to switch it on and off.

One potential problem is that the pump should not be started or stopped if the generator is not running. Don't shut off the pump by shutting off the generator, because the voltage decrease as the generator slows down is not good for the pump. I'd suggest you find a pump supply house with experienced people who can help you set it up right.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 21:15

How about a solar well, livestock type? I have this exact set up, works great. solarpumps.com

This is the system I bought. Price is good right now. (sale) https://solarpumps.com/products/complete-systems/k170sr2-1000-gpd

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 22:07

Will that solar pump produce enough water to power a couple rainbird sprinklers?

bldginsp
# Posted: 4 Apr 2017 22:09

I doubt it. Solar pumps are trickle pumps for filling tanks- they provide a small flow of water over a long time. A sprinkler needs a high flow of water over a short time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.