Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Shallow well jet pump left running for hours
zoodlemaker
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 13:09

My 1/2 hp shallow well jet pump was left running for a couple of hours, not drawing water, just running.

Will I need to replace it? It doesn't seem to be drawing water at all, after 6 or 7 tries. Im drawing water from a lake that was frozen until this week, gave it a try now and it wasn't drawing water.

zoodlemaker
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 13:12

It's not uncommon for it to take a few tries to get it operating at the beginning of each season. But it doesn't sound like it's drawing and the pressure gauge needle is not even vibrating.

Thanks for your thoughts!

DaveBell
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 13:34

My pump on my gold dredge uses water for lubrication. The seals will fail if run dry too long. I guess you don't know make and model of yours since it wasn't posted.

zoodlemaker
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 13:56

It's a Home Plumber professional series self priming shallow well jet pump, 1/2 hp. I'm not sure where the model would show but it's within reach for any other specs. Thanks!

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 14:41

Even if it's self priming. Try priming it. You might get lucky

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 20:58

I have a Sandpoint at my house I use for watering the lawn. A few years ago it lost its prime and my son let it run for some time. It overheated and cooked the impeller inside. It was actually a pretty easy fix and did not cost much for the new one. If you cannot get it to draw water this may be a place to look.

Just
# Posted: 13 Apr 2017 21:05

the impeller has melted inside . They are not hard to fix . copy the serial number and take it to were you bought it and get a repair kit about 10 $ the may need to order it .The impeller is nylon they cannot get hot. the repair kit should come with directions to help .I once went into a pump house with 8 pumps in the corner, most with llike new paint ,,fellow didn,t have any wrenches i gess.

bldginsp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2017 00:33

Quoting: Just
.I once went into a pump house with 8 pumps in the corner, most with llike new paint ,,fellow didn,t have any wrenches i gess.

He had enough wrenches to swap pumps but not to open them and swap parts. Well I have to admit I've done dumber things....

zoodlemaker
# Posted: 14 Apr 2017 15:43

Thanks so much for these comments. I gave a few more tries but there's no suction at all. I think I'll look into replacing the impeller.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.