Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / OT: Trailer wiring question
Smawgunner
# Posted: 11 May 2017 20:49

I'm replacing the lights on my trailer and I am a bit confused. The trailer has two wires for each light. The new lights I bought have three wires coming out of them. The instructions are a bit confusing.
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 11 May 2017 21:09

Sounds like you have a reverse light. Ground the stud and clip the back wire to 12v+ and see if you have a clear (non red) light.

darz5150
# Posted: 11 May 2017 21:17

It sounds like your new lites have back up lites.( black wire)
Standard trailer wiring ( flat 4 wires )
Yellow- left turn
Green- right turn
Brown- running lites
White- ground
Try hooking your turn signal wire (yellow or green)to the red wire and your running lite wire (brown) to the green. If the turn signal isn't brighter than the running lites, try switching the wires.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 11 May 2017 21:18 - Edited by: Smawgunner

Yeah, the trailer had back up lights and the new lights do as well. But every diagram I find, does not mention back ups.
I have three wires from the new lights to match up with two on the trailer...????
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

ICC
# Posted: 11 May 2017 22:48

Or you totally rewire the trailer; new wire set, new connector, and have everything new and have a minimum number of breaks and splices in the wiring.

DaveBell
# Posted: 12 May 2017 02:47 - Edited by: DaveBell

The two wire light is grounded by/at the light mounting bolt to the frame and the harness ground connects at the tongue. Grounding is created through the metal frame.

With the three wire, you can connect the light ground wire at the light mounting bolt and keep the harness ground connect at the tongue.

If this ever has a problem, you can disconnect the harness ground and the light grounds an run a wire between the three.

I home run my grounds together because using the frame ground creates an added failure possibility to troubleshoot. Paint, Rust, Corrosion, etc.

Google trailer wiring diagram and click images. White wire is ground on a four plug.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 12 May 2017 07:06

Again sorry for my electrical stupidity. But would the grounding matter if the trailer is aluminum?

DaveBell
# Posted: 12 May 2017 08:04 - Edited by: DaveBell

Not electrically, but galvanic reaction can cause corrosion when dissimilar metals are in contact over extended periods. You may be able to just paint both sides of the connection when finished to take the oxygen and moisture out of the equation.

Make sure you rough up the connection surfaces with light sand paper to ensure a good contact.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 May 2017 08:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: Smawgunner
Yeah, the trailer had back up lights and the new lights do as well. But every diagram I find, does not mention back ups.
I have three wires from the new lights to match up with two on the trailer...????

OK, for back up lights, if you are using the flat connector, ti needs to be 5 pin vs the std 4 pin flat if you want back up lights.

White is ground, brown is running lamps, green is right turn, yellow is left turn. (this means the green and yellow will also be stop lamps if your tail lamp converter is wired correctly ie do you have separate amber or red turn signal lamps, then you need a converter. The 5th pin is back up.

On the 7 way RV plug/traditional, flat pins, the AUX or back up is the very center pin/wire in that connector. Most dont use it at all.

Run a ground wire to each lamp, dont rely on the frame, but do ground the frame.

What connector do you have, the 4 or 5 pin flat or the 7 ray round RV plug (flat pins)

7 way traditional and 7 way RV are electrically the same, just wires all jerked around. Use 7 way traditional, this is the std wiring color everyone is used to
7way_traditional_tru.jpg
7way_traditional_tru.jpg

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 May 2017 09:17

Good info Toyota.

Completely off topic, but when I park my camper, I put a 20a fuse between the top two terminal of the plug (parking lights and 12v hot) this lights up all my running and clearance lights and make a nice ambience around the camper. Plus makes it easy to find in the campground when we are out at night. Laugh if you will, but there has been a couple times where we wandered around for a long time looking for our spot after we took an evening stroll.

Tim

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.