Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Norcold N611 propane fridge issues
Alpine7
# Posted: 15 May 2017 10:24

I installed a Norcold N611 propane fridge in my off-grid cabin using 12 volt and propane. tested it in a ventilated room for a couple days and it worked perfect. I built a enclosure for the fridge against an outside wall. I put 2 louvered vents on the back wall one at the bottom and one at the top. both vents are 6"high x 12" wide. The fridge only ran for 4 hours before I got a overheat error. 5 blinks of the power light every couple seconds. There is no apparent coolant leak and I am wondering if I need to have a vent pipe on the top of the plywood enclosure going outside. Also does anyone know how to reset the fridge as it turned back on after it cooled and then shut off again and now it wont turn on at all it just blinks 5 times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nate R
# Posted: 15 May 2017 10:51

I can't recall the reset procedure, but I thought it was in an online manual I found for the fridge I had, which I believe was an N611. My fridge in my camper was set up with side vents AND a top vent. With several hundred BTU coming out of that propane vent pipe, AND the heat rejection from the ammonia, I'd think you'd need more venting. The roof vent in my RV was rather large for the fridge. If i were you, I'd consider a small fan to move air (~1.5W for a few CFM?) and run that through another vent.

Alpine7
# Posted: 15 May 2017 12:17

Thanks Nate. I expected I needed more venting. I think I found a procedure online.

drb777
# Posted: 15 May 2017 12:56

Norcold RV fridges on LP do need a circulation fan when used as a built-in/within an enclosure. You can use a 12vdc "computer" fan, which should be nice and quiet.

I fussed with a Norcold 3-way for several years and finally became so frustrated I gave up. Changed to a two-way Edge Star with much better reliability. I realize that some have had good results with LP absorption refrigeration systems, I have not. Repairs can be very difficult and expensive, but good luck to you.

Alpine7
# Posted: 15 May 2017 13:27

Are you saying a small 12 volt fan with the existing ventilation I have may do the trick? I hate to cut more holes in the cabin. I opened the top hole so it is now 12" x 12" the wall is about 12" thick from the logs plus I have a small gap of insulation then a 2x4 framed wall on the inside covered in gyprock. I can hold my hand over the opening and feel the heat come out. So it is generating a ton of heat. Should I put the fan in the bottom blowing in or top blowing out?

drb777
# Posted: 15 May 2017 15:13

Locate the fan at the top, blowing out.
dual vent fans & thermostat
dual vent fans & thermostat

drb777
# Posted: 15 May 2017 15:16

Photo above shows "computer fans" and optional thermostat located just behind the top vent of the fridge compartment. Instead of the thermostat, you could use a simple rocker switch or both.

drb777
# Posted: 15 May 2017 15:26

If you want to add the thermostat, here's a link;URL
Also, available at HD (attic vent section) and Ebay.

Simple 2 wire hook-up.

drb777
# Posted: 15 May 2017 15:50

Another thermostat listing, cheaper and w/o the unnecessary "test switch".URL

ICC
# Posted: 15 May 2017 19:01 - Edited by: ICC

RV's all used to have the fridge vent out the roof, not the side wall, because that works best. Sort of like a wood stove, a straight path makes for easier flow than a path with a direction change.

Also note that when installed properly there is very little space behind the fridge. If there is more than 1 inch space behind the fridge fins there should be baffles installed to force the air to go through the fins. Too much space behind allows the air flow to bypass the cooling fins. I have about 1/4" behind the fins on my propane fridges.

Alpine7
# Posted: 18 Jun 2017 07:53

Ok sorry I took so long to provide an update here. I visited a local ventilation company asking for advise and they told me to install a 4" stove pipe and go strait through the roof. The also said to close the top vent. I reset the board on the fridge and did just that . I have tested the fridge the past 3 weeks and keep it on the lower settings. It appears this is now working fine. If I light a cigarette outside the lower vent I can see the smoke get sucked in the vent and go strait out through the top of the pipe. It has a very good draft now. Thank you all for your help.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.