Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Leeds / Thousands Islands reviewing min main dwelling size
Absolutely
# Posted: 2 Jun 2017 15:54

I know that the subject of the minimum allowable main residence size is frequently discussed on this site.

On that topic, this item came across my FB feed today:

"Leeds and Thousand Islands:

The Township is having a public meeting on June 19th at 6pm. The municipality is looking for input and thoughts on the following proposed changes. This is the perfect venue for discussion on these topics before the meeting.

1. Permit livestock on all lots less than 5 acres in the rural zone subject to certain performance standards.

2. Reduce/remove the minimum dwelling size to allow for “tiny/small” living.

3. etc.... "

I am not in this township and it doesn't affect me directly but forum members who are interested may want to follow this development and perhaps use this to influence lawmakers in their own regions.

ForceFed70
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 13:03 - Edited by: ForceFed70

Wow. I didn't even realize "minimum dwelling size" was a thing. Things are way different in Canada. Maximum sizes (usually as a % of lot coverage) yes - but otherwise you never see size minimum size restrictions outside of perhaps a HOA environment (HOA are not common in Canada either but do exist)

Wilbour
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 13:34

Whoo hoo!

I'm just over the next county in Frontenac Islands. This would be a good thing!

People need big houses when they have no land.

People with land are always outside.

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 14:57

Actually ForceFed, it varies between the Provinces & Territories and then every region (Country or Municipality) can have their own "special criteria". One thing that is in rapid decline is the unorganized townships (where things are far more lax) for a number of reasons but mostly because the Provinces don't make enough off those by way of taxes etc...

The Minimum Dwelling size is to guarantee a certain level of Property Tax income which is based off size & valuation (and they are extremely creative on how they value properties) and has little to do with what people want... Albeit there are some places where the Urbanites are trying to create "their vision" of what "Pristine Country" should look like with 3000+ square foot behemoths plunked into their "Landscaped Wilderness"...

Had to say that, as a few here will get a good chuckle cause they know who/what I'm talking about... Where's that can of Raid to spray away the skeeters club..... hehehe U Know !

ForceFed70
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 17:52 - Edited by: ForceFed70

I suppose. Special criteria is called "Bylaws" around here.

We've built in a few regions within BC and outside of a planned development/neighborhood where you had to get the entire build approved right down to design and roof color, I've never heard of it.

Empty lots don't get much property tax either. I guess BC municipalities just aren't as money hungry then. The bylaws focus mostly on safety and impact to others/neighborhood.

Can you tell me which provinces/territories/municipalities this applies in? Everyone posts their bylaws online nowadays, I'd love to take a gander.

Absolutely
# Posted: 30 Sep 2017 16:17

Here's the agenda for the upcoming council meeting for those interested:

https://leedsthousandislands.civicweb.net/Portal/MeetingInformation.aspx?Org=Cal&Id=5 38

rockies
# Posted: 30 Sep 2017 18:03

https://tinyhouselistingscanada.com/resources/

Info on small homes sizes and requirements.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Sep 2017 19:38

Tiny houses, smaller footprint is not only green, its affordable for many more people who have been priced out. Why the govt decided how many sq feet is good for you is beyond me.

Steve_S
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 05:22

@Toyota. More Square Feet = more $ value = more taxes for the goober-mentals. Also usually means more debt (mortgage / loans which drives economy) and higher build costs of course means more cash for building supply places, tradespeople and trickle down, all of which pay taxes on product sales, income taxes, business taxes etc...

It all drives the Money Engine of the Government(s).

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Oct 2017 11:46

Yup - would be nice to have the choice of sq footage before you build.
It is funny though....been following the tiny house market for years...watchin builds on TV....years ago it was not only small but economical to do...looks like the newer generation wants small - but everything in the "tiny house". Builds used to be $10 - $15,000....now you are seeing them often between $40 - $60,000. Cheaper to build a cabin with more sq footage to boot! Funny world...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.