Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Anyone ever build a barge/pontoon boat?
socceronly
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 23:07

My plot of land is on an island, and I need to build both a dock, and a barge/pontoon boat to get stuff there.

I was looking at pontoons and floats. Floats, being square would not by as effecient.... but this thing doesn't need to be fast....lol

The floats would be more than half the price of the pontoons.

Any experience doing this?

Thanks
JM

Islandlife
# Posted: 3 Jun 2017 23:43

We use our dock as a barge. Right now we just tow it but could put our motor on the dock. Our dock is 8'x16' ,and has two rows of floats one down each side like a pontoon boat. We used the square black plastic floats.

One tip...put one float at the end of your ramp so it floats when disconnected. This way the hinges can be disconnected and you don't have to drag the ramp in each time. You can also just pull back up to the ramp and reattach it.

We only have a short distance between Island and main land but it seems to work well.
Graham

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Jun 2017 00:47 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

We have a member here, from Australia, he built a boat/cabin (floating cabin) and had pictures of it from start to almost finished. Dont remember his username. He did nice work. Not sure what he used for flotation. I would use large rectangle blocks of styrofoam for stability and a loading ramp like to drive or on/offload gear. I think it would be a great idea to haul supplys to an island cabin.

socceronly
# Posted: 4 Jun 2017 11:39

OK, thanks for the response!

I think I'll give the black square plastic ones a chance first.

If they don't work out as a barge, I'll make it into a dock and try again with the barge.

Just going to be using a trolling motor.

Can't wait to get building.... I'll definately be putting everying up on here as detailed as possible.

Thanks
JM

creeky
# Posted: 4 Jun 2017 13:19

will be watching. I'm doing the same. I have some 8' black plastic floats. bargains from the recycle plant. $40 for 2.

I was planning to use a 24v lawn mower motor on top of a 5hp bottom end. But the girlfriend took one look a the lawn mower (see "that's Mr...") and now I'm looking for a new motor.

Framing is cedar rails/posts/used fencing. Going for a Yabadabadoo look. With contrasting extruded aluminum racking and solar panels.

I'm using simpsons strong ties for locking the pieces together.

Maybe a bunch of us can get on this.

ForceFed70
# Posted: 4 Jun 2017 13:32

My cabin is also only accessible via water.

Are you going to need it once the cabin is built? If not buy a used boat and resell it a year or 2 later.

It'll work better and it'll be cheaper.

Absolutely
# Posted: 4 Jun 2017 15:52 - Edited by: Absolutely

I've moved more things to and from my island in a 14ft POS aluminum boat than I can count - fridge, stove, steel roofing, materials to build two 108 sq ft cabins, concrete mix, mattresses, etc. That may be all you need.
20160520_131124.jpg
20160520_131124.jpg
PSX_20170602_100058..jpg
PSX_20170602_100058..jpg
20170422_104133.jpg
20170422_104133.jpg

ForceFed70
# Posted: 5 Jun 2017 13:02

Quoting: Absolutely
I've moved more things to and from my island in a 14ft POS aluminum boat than I can count - fridge, stove, steel roofing, materials to build two 108 sq ft cabins, concrete mix, mattresses, etc. That may be all you need.

I agree to an extent. Depends on the scale of the project.

I've build additions, decks, etc and hauled all of my material in via a very similar boat (yours looks a little wider).

However, if I was looking to start over from scratch - I'd be very tempted to invest in a used pontoon boat to haul the material over, then sell it after.

Not only is it a lot less work, it's safer. It's very tempting to overload the 14' boat and many times that load is placed "up high" like pictured. I'm not saying you were unsafe - god knows I've done that and worse but at times the boat has been very "tippy".

Absolutely
# Posted: 5 Jun 2017 15:52

Quoting: ForceFed70
I'm not saying you were unsafe

Haha, that's ok - I'll say it.

Actually, it's not to bad with the drywall up on the gunwales like that, eight sheets or so at a time so around 350lbs. I figure I've moved 100+ sheets over in the last decade or so.

I agree with the idea you proposed, though - buy a used pontoon boat, ride it like a rented mule and sell it when you're done. A friend of mine did exactly that. He is water access on Mazinaw and needed something to bring over the trusses for his Viceroy. He bought a worn pontoon boat and stripped it down. It's served him well on that big lake. He's just about done and will likely sell it soon.

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Jun 2017 08:29

I bought an old set of poontoons from an old boat. Decked it so have an 8*20' dock/ barge. I did the small aluminum boat thing for years. Walking on to a flat deck is so much easier as I get older. With an electric trolling motor it's great for putting around the lake/ fishing. I love it and highly recommended that route

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 9 Jun 2017 14:37

We use a old aluminum boat and haul all kinds of stuff across the lake. In the winter we use it as a sled on the ice behind the ATV and snowmobile. We also have a 8 barrel barge/dock that we use for big loads.

tylerrose
# Posted: 25 Mar 2023 17:11

I am sharing a detailed article about the pontoon boat and the cabin, you may be interested.

https://boatkinds.com/pontoon-boat-with-cabin/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.