Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Dehumidifiers
Cowracer
# Posted: 26 Jun 2017 12:09

Fixing to spend a long weekend at my cabin for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. The cabin stays closed up and un-A/C'ed or heated when we are not present. In fact, all the power is off, except for one circuit feeding the fridge.

The cabin is 320 sqft upstairs, and 256 downstairs. I have two GE window air conditioners (one on each level) that do a reasonably good job. The A/C units do not run full time. Once the cabin gets down to temp, the kick on sporadically. benefits of good insulation and tree cover, I guess.

While the temp is comfortable, I find that they do not run enough to rid the cabin of humidity. I absolutely LOATHE that feeling of your blankets and sheets are mildly damp due to the high humidity (which is why I can never move to Florida). It's not like we have mold growing on the walls or water condensing on the windows, but just a bit more moisture in the air than I think is comfortable. I can run the A/C's down to 64 (that's as low as the settings go) and that helps, but then it's like a meat locker in there.

I am thinking about running over to Home Depot or Lowes and getting a plug in de-humidifier to help out. I figure a 30 pint per day would be enough to knock down the humidity to a more tolerable level. Anyone have any suggestions on brands to get or avoid, or any other suggestions or experience with dehumidifiers?

Appreciate all feedback.

Tim

Kamn
# Posted: 26 Jun 2017 12:20

I have used and abused an LG dehumidifier for the past 3 years on a daily basis from Fall to Spring in a dog daycare environment, which required me to strip the housing and clean it out (basically hose the insides clean from dander and hair). It finally gave up this past winter
It was a good unit

spoofer
# Posted: 26 Jun 2017 18:10

They are hit or miss and usually on last a few years. I use one all spring and summer at my home in the Fingerlakes in NY. The humidity is very high, 70% or better this time of year.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.