Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / A Really COOL design idea for Cabineers +
Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 09:59

Hey folks, I found this article this morning which really caught my eye and thought I would share it with everyone here. This is a little Hiker's Shelter built in France but the design & idea could be far more than that.

Le Haut Perche - hiker shelter

Here's the link to the article, enjoy.
http://newatlas.com/le-haut-perche-studio-weave/50351/

ColdFlame
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 10:34

Thanks Steve! Looks very interesting.

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 10:35

Now Steve, you know good and well that this is completely impractical and is doomed to fail should anyone attempt this here..

For one thing, it's not on a slab foundation, and those piers are sure to move and settle. Plus it would require a tractor trailer and a crane to haul the steel in and set it up.

Next you have multiple code violations for improper floor joists. Also it would require permits due to height requirements. Oh, who am I kidding, you'd NEVER get a permit for this in Canada.

It's too hard to shoot at deer due to the roof overhangs, and bears would be attracted to it thinking it's a tree.

I don't see any fool-proof locking mechanism to keep cabin thieves at bay either.

It would be a disaster in a seismic activity zone...Inspections out the wazooo... blah blah blah... Clearly this is a ridiculous idea. /irony

Steve_S
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 10:50

hahaha Jabberwocky, you are kidding right ? I hope so.

What does the foundation have to do with anything, it's Piers ! Usually those goto bedrock or block pas under the frost point. As for the Steel Piers - it is all relative to the site isn't it & of course personal budget.

Code Violations etc... How do you determine that from the photo or the article... There is no design specs, blueprints or drawings to indicate how it was built or designed. I looked through the French site for this place as well as the designer's site in the UK... little to no details on it.

Shooting at deer would be a problem IF they were flying. Haven't seen any that do as yet and am surrounded by them.

Seismic issues ? Gee, a lot of places in California and other seismically active areas have homes & structures on piers without issues (if properly engineered for that zone). Piers are also used throughout the Arctic as you can't build on Permafrost. Take a trip up north and see for yourself....

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 10:53

Steve_S

I was just poking fun at the typical topics of conversation and/or debates on this website, nothing more. So yeah, totally kidding

Oh oh oh... I forgot to add one more... You have a heckuva time trying to mount solar panels on that round roof!

creeky
# Posted: 6 Jul 2017 16:08

Quoting: Jabberwocky
doomed to fail

should that be domed to fail?

and I could get solar on that roof. all you need is a glue gun and a six pack. six pack of abs that is.

UPLIBERTY
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 16:42

Hey, I like it....looks low maintence too. Just curious, what mods would you make?

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 16:58

I had thought as a Bunkie or make it a big bigger so it can have a bedroom & washroom even. Maybe a 6' wrap around deck with one of those arches having a double door... Or make one smaller as a Treeless Treehouse - deer blind ? Bird Watching lookout ? (British or North American meanings apply )

@Creeky, hehehe, 6 packs of something indeed. Maybe one day high watt, high volt flexible solar panels will be on the market, could open up many possibilities.

1tentman
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 20:11 - Edited by: 1tentman

It is kinda neat looking, the best use I can think of would be a river camp so when the floods come the living area would be above the water. I can see it now looking out across the Mississippi river at sunset, maybe not. It would be a nice deer stand, but if I going to spend that much on a stand maybe I should take my money and buy a beef. I can see those steps getting old real fast, especially if you was heating with wood, packing wood up them would be a bear! Still pretty cool looking, thats my 2 cents worth

UPLIBERTY
# Posted: 7 Jul 2017 21:34

Steve, 6' deck all around is a great idea.

1tentman, lets add something like a dumb waiter to do the heavy lifting of items such as fire wood and perhaps beer

Jabberwocky
# Posted: 10 Jul 2017 16:10

How about something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5FSWkjFPxs

UPLIBERTY
# Posted: 11 Jul 2017 21:38

yeah....mount a couple of baskets and or saddle bags to carry supplies up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.