Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Solar system security?
frankpaige
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 00:28

In the process of trying to decide off grid solar system, I started wondering about the systems security. Iam off the road, hidden a "little " bit. But, I see the footprints of visiting humans. Has anyone thought of leaving their system up and running while away? Has anyone experienced solar system thief? Is it worth it to leave up? Worth it to take down? It would be a small system, but still expensive to me.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Steve_S
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 07:46

Well, good question but a bit more detail may result in better suggestions and ideas. If the system is a portable one, then absolutely lock it up, hide it... take it home.

IF you have a panel or two and mounted physically to the Roof on your cabin, the inconvenience factor for a thief is high, plus panels are much cheaper today than ever before... but controller / inverter / batteries could be targets because they would know such is there (seeing the panels = dead give away).

Curious Humans meandering on the property... I had similar issues while I was not there... Simple Solution was that I bought a few bush cams (couple of cheapo's and some good ones)... The cheapo's are visible and not easily accessed, one is REALLY OBVIOUS in it's location and with some looking the other cheapo get's seen... The moment morons see Camera 1 and notice Cam 2 they get that THEY ARE BEING SEEN & RECORDED... also clue in that there may be more (there are). I have a few "persons" that have wandered up and indeed the moment they see Cam-1 they about face quickly... I had one guy who saw cam-1, looked everywhere and did not see Cam-2 so he continued on and then saw Cam-2 and realized he was phookered and took off... a Hunter once aimed his rifle at Cam-1 till his buddy pointed out Cam-2 - both buggered off... NB, one of the hidden ones (Cam-3) catches vehicles & plates ...

ICC
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 10:06

Quoting: frankpaige
But, I see the footprints of visiting humans. Has anyone thought of leaving their system up and running while away?

10 years. Weeks between visits at times. Never had anything solar related stolen. Other stuff stolen though.

creeky
# Posted: 3 Sep 2017 10:52

Remember its most likely to be a neighbor. If you've been there 10 years you know everyone already.

So who's most likely to need beer money on a Friday night? smile.

Bigred292
# Posted: 4 Sep 2017 06:32

Luckily I was able to install my panel on my porch roof- it cannot be seen from the class 6 road that goes past the cabin.
I could have put it on cabin roof but felt it would be too much of a temptation
Have been thinking about putting some cameras up too.
Any recommendations?

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 4 Sep 2017 08:15

Out of sight out of mind. If small I'd just set up when there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.