Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Cabin contstruction withdrawl.
Cowracer
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 17:25

So...

The cabin build is pretty much done. Just a few little, minor things left to do inside like the fireplace hearth, and switch plate covers. Only thing left to do outside is the porch, and the outside shower. Both of which are planned for next spring

What's killing me is I'm now in construction withdraw. I don't get to look forward to going down and putting the 'done' stamp on anything anymore. Oh sure... I get to use it, but its not really the same as building it. No more trips to Menards or Home Depot looking over flooring or lumber. No more, "If I run down after the wedding but before the reception, I can get another coat of shellac on the upstairs north wall" moments. My saw is starting to rust. My tools sit unused. Its almost heartbreaking. I wander aimlessly around the garage, looking at the accumulated stuff that has built up for the cabin project. I guess I should start clearing that out, but to do so would be admission that I'm officially done.

I need another project, man. Just a little one to tide me over. The wife wants a coat rack hung in the hallway, but that's almost not even worth getting out the tools.

Or... maybe I am just crazy

tim

rockies
# Posted: 11 Oct 2017 18:10

There's always a bunkhouse.

Gary O
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 06:52

Quoting: Cowracer
I need another project, man. Just a little one to tide me over

it's another reason why we have shops

Forage for bent wood
large and small
make 'things' out of 'em

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 07:11

@Cowracer... got a truck to toss the tools in and two weeks to take an adventure ? LOL... Just had to... Maybe time to start planning that Gazebo of your dreams, complete with stone grill in centre....

https://morningchores.com/gazebo-plans/

The other end of it... This is how many guys end up with a nice Workshop &.OR Man Cave.... So start plotting & planning... you need somewhere to put your tools and be able to work on projects and things without disrupting the family and living quarters... Also a great place to turn up your favourite tunes and have a cool pop on a hot day....

Cowracer
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 09:14 - Edited by: Cowracer

Already got the 'man cave'. My first big project was my home theater.

Already have a pavilion (instead of a gazebo)

My garage is an utter pig-sty. Not 'filthy' but just so full of crap that it takes me 10 minutes to dig out the motorcycle or the mower. Imagine 'Tetris' laid out flat. I'm afraid to clean it out because the only think keeping me from building up a '49 Merc lead-sled is that I don't have any room, and I'm not going to do it outside. One day, though... I'll build one pretty much just like this:

I guess the next big project is going to be redoing the house. Half of the justification for building the cabin was to learn how to do thing (and accumulate tools) so I can redo the house. Tear out carpet, Hardwood floors, siding. that sort of thing. But to me that feels more like 'maintenance' than a project.

I went through the same thing when I got out of racing. I was used to being in the garage till 9 or 10, and eating what was left of dinner standing over the stove. After I sold out, I found myself bouncing off the walls by 7:30 trying to find something to do.

tim

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 12:36

I need another project, man.

I've got a cabin that needs about 5 years of attention to get all my projects done. Feel free to drop by anytime you like and work on it if you're ever in Ontario. You can even use all my stuff.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 19:14

Quoting: KelVarnsen
Feel free to drop by anytime you like and work on it if you're ever in Ontario. You can even use all my stuff.

OK, Sign me up too ! We'll even get ya Fresh Deep Fried Beaver Tails ! YUMMY !!! Mmmm with Garlic Butter OR if ya got a sweet tooth, Cinnamon Sugar Butter ,.... OR BEST OF ALL a light coat of Extra Dark Maple Syrup ! Ohh man I gotta a craving NOW....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Oct 2017 21:33

Do like i do, make up new projects, decorate the property, ie in my case, USFS campground, picnic areas, container, thinking of a lookout tower cabin right now...

I will never be done. No change of my tools rusting.

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 01:31

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Do like i do, make up new projects

The "job" is only done when you run out of creativity of changing this and that...... just when everything is perfect, you see that "this" could be better if it was a bit different

I notice when I sit in my shop and look around..... I start thinking about stuff. Like, you know I could sharpen those chisels.... then I could do that coat rack carving under the dart board... you know what, my buddy and I have played quite a bit on that board, how about I cut a nice couple pieces of wood and cover some of those dart holes and make that board area look rustic. Then while those tools are out I can router the shelving that Ive wanted for the stereo, Aw then I need to re route the speaker wire just a bit better so I dont see any wires in this corner.......... Do you see what Im getting at? Oh shoot, I need to go split some more fire wood ...........

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 01:32

Oh and by the way Toyota_mdt_Tech, I saw your post of the USFS stuff and i LOVE the fire pit grills you posted. I was looking for some of those and bookmarked the link you had in another post. Thanks man!

Cowracer
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 08:58

Quoting: Steve_S
Fresh Deep Fried Beaver Tails

It that a local name for something else, like some places call big pork tenderloin sandwiches "elephant ear sandwiches"...

Or are we talking actual tails from actual beavers?

Tim

Cowracer
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 09:25

Quoting: Bushwhacked
The "job" is only done when you run out of creativity of changing this and that

I guess I make a distinction between "projects' and what I call "piddly stuff". I always have something like that going on. But I'm an Process Control and Automation Engineer. I'm used to thinking in terms of Projects (with the capital 'P'). Something where you have a defined goal and some semblance of a work plan.

Something where I say "I'm gonna build X..." and then I have to figure out the hows and whens, make plans and lay in supplies. If its something I can put into a Gantt chart, so much the better. You might have seen me use the term "Put the DONE stamp on it", well, I actually have a DONE stamp and I use it whenever I complete a task on a chart at work.

I think I might have decided on the next project, though. I got an old Arctic Cat ATV that I put a box blade on a few years ago. Very handy for dragging out the gravel driveways and leveling ground. Works decent enough for snow, too.

I saw a vid on youtube about a guy who built an front-end loader on his riding mower out of an old engine hoist and some electric actuators. (I'm not kidding)

URL

I think I'm gonna start laying in some steel and see about building a loader bucket for the ATV. It'll be light duty, but I could use the hell out of it. There are places around the lake where you can pick up gravel if you want to shovel it. We've hauled about 15 loads out for our lots in our side-by-sides, but I am getting old enough where I no longer consider shoveling any fun. I'm thinking that building this little loader will let me load gravel or whatnot into my side-by-side without all the heart-attacks and stuff. Should be awesome for snow too.

I guess step one is opening up another page on my projects blog. That would make it official.

Tim

Steve_S
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 10:05

@Cowracer see http://beavertails.com/en/our-products/beavertails-pastry/

NOT actual Beaver Tails... it is a Pastry

Cowracer
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 10:20

Quoting: Steve_S
@Cowracer see http://beavertails.com/en/our-products/beavertails-pastry/

NOT actual Beaver Tails... it is a Pastry

I gotta say... I'm both relieved and a little disappointed. LOL

Tim

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Oct 2017 21:43

I'm thinking that building this little loader will let me load gravel or whatnot into my side-by-side without all the heart-attacks and stuff. Should be awesome for snow too.

Cowracer, agree, manual labor shoveling is no fun. Do what I did. 0% interest for 5 years. I was "just looking" and when I saw that rate, I bought one (L2501) I added the roof and they tossed in the back blade for $99
Sniffing the BH77 backhoe now option, going to be north of $8000...
tractor2.jpg
tractor2.jpg
kubota_intow1.jpg
kubota_intow1.jpg

Cowracer
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 14:29

Toyo... I'd probably kill myself with one of those. LOL.

Here I was lamenting how I had nothing real to do on the cabin when the wife decided we should head down on sunday to hang some pictures.

I also have a spare recliner that came out of my camper that was perfect for use in the cabin, so we took that down as well.

Little did I know how much time it was going to take to "hang a few pictures". Turn out we hung up all of the 'decor' stuff we have been accumulating for 5 years. And I stained and installed a couple switch plates and did a few other 'loose-end' kinda things.

Took nearly all damn day. But the cabin looks awesome. Most of the decor items were gifts from friends. We even discovered that one of the wife's friends bought us two of the exact same thing 3 years apart (the 'free bear hugs" sign in the pictures). She's not the swiftest trout in the river...

Pics below.

tim
22406144_10154725618.jpg
22406144_10154725618.jpg
20171015_123137.jpg
20171015_123137.jpg
20171015_123209.jpg
20171015_123209.jpg

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 19:53

I hear you when you say piddly stuff and projects! I have no real projects on the go at the moment but I have tons of piddly stuff I have to do that seem to end up taking up more time than the actual projects! My wife and I are brainstorming a couple of projects over the winter for next year like building a small deck down by the water for a couple of lounge chairs!

It never ends.....always something to do which is a big part of the attraction to the place....for me at least!

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 21:26

I finished the cabin and we decided we needed a screen porch! So I built a porch as big as the house! With a deck on top....But what I'm finding to be my biggest projects are the constant 'maintenance' that occurs......
Don't worry, my friend, you will be kept plenty busy.....

neckless
# Posted: 24 Oct 2017 09:24

fishing beer relax ....take it from a guy that has really slowed down....lol

Cowracer
# Posted: 24 Oct 2017 14:16

Quoting: neckless
fishing beer relax ....take it from a guy that has really slowed down....lol

I'm an engineer. We don't idle well.

Tim

Bushwhacked
# Posted: 25 Oct 2017 01:30

Hmmmm maybe for an engineer-
"fishing" could be getting into fly fishing. Thats an art that I hear is fun to master. You can also tie your own flys.... super precise and could be tedious .... maybe for someone with an engineer back ground...hmmmmmmm
"beer" Well you could make your own! Its a hobby of mine and I find it quite rewarding. Super easy to get the hang of after two batches or so. There are so many ingredients and ways to brew and types of racking, bottling...... well the list goes on and on. Then its all the same hardware to make your own wine....hmmmmm
"relax" why, I do that in my shop by sitting down for 10 min and looking around. then I say to my self hey, lets build a shelf here or finish this or that project... Not much idle

Little did I know how much time it was going to take to "hang a few pictures". Turn out we hung up all of the 'decor' stuff we have been accumulating for 5 years. And I stained and installed a couple switch plates and did a few other 'loose-end' kinda things.

Oh yea just like that^

Same words mean different things to different people.

Now Its time to bottle the latest batch of beer!

Cheers!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.