Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Funny cabin story
Borrego
# Posted: 15 Oct 2017 21:33

Well its funny now I guess.....

Anyway, second trip to the cabin this season and we were met with invaders.....a couple of Desert field mice and Ants! Not an overwhelming number of ants, but these are desert ants. So we spent waaay too many hours spraying and setting traps and laying out ant baits and such.... So we got em all, right? Not quite.

The next morning (Sat) I get up and make the coffee, let the dogs out etc... and throw on a tee shirt and shorts. (Out of my suitcase which I had left on the floor....) Now I had had a bad night (threw my shoulder out moving rocks on Friday, plus couldn't sleep anyway which is rare for me) and I had a wee small hangover, maybe....

Sitting there sipping a delicious cup of coffee when the first one bit...hmmm I thought, did I imagine that? Then another. I was soon dancing on the front porch ripping off my clothes (my kind wife says it looked like the Mexican Hat Dance) Haha.

I ended up with a dozen or more bites, bites like I've never had....the wife got bit on the foot when we first started here 9 years ago and the pain and blisters lasted 3 weeks...

Looked it up and they were apparently called Solenopsis xyloni
....."They will sting and bite the intruder, causing memorably unpleasant pain."

No S**T

Read more: https://www.desertusa.com/insects/fire-ants2.html#ixzz4vd9e0GV3

Stop laughing Gary O.....
IMG_20171015_1743380.jpg
IMG_20171015_1743380.jpg

Littlecooner
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 03:42 - Edited by: Littlecooner

I use acephate on the Fire Ant mounds for control. Appears to work better that all the other different chemicals I have tried over the years. Pick up some permethrin and a one gallon sprayer and keep the cabin treated, out side and upon departing for several days, then treat the inside floors, doors, etc. I love premethrin, one of the few chemicals that will kill the carpenter bees. It will keep all insects away for 6 weeks to 2 months and I love not seeing any spider webs. It is just a small item to do around my place every few months for pest control. we have local farmers supply stores and the acephate sold by Hy Yield is around $ 12 here, will kill 50-75 mounds and the premethrin is $ 10-20, depending on pint or quart and will last a long time when mixing an oz or two oz per one gallon sprayer. No more indian fire dances on the porch to entertain the folks could be the down side here.

Gary O
# Posted: 16 Oct 2017 09:40

Quoting: Borrego
Stop laughing Gary O.....

can't

I have a vivid imagination

.....thank you for the vision

hot coffee, turns out, is a great cleanser of nasal passages

rick32
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 02:43

It's really funny

ILFE
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 06:15

I'm rollin' here.

Sorry. I just couldn't help myself. I didn't mean to laugh.

Well, maybe a little bit.

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:11

So glad my adventures amuse you guys....

Steve_S
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:35

Only those who have not suffered such an attack think it's funny... Luckily they are not fire ants or worse ! (I have scars from them).

My climate / region is different BUT something that works for me, may work for you too... I didn't really believe it would work when it was suggested but tried it anyways as I am inside 1000 acres of Pine & Cedar Forest and that is Ant Heaven ! I bought some Borax Detergent Powder and sprinkled it around my cabin on the ground just inside where the rainline is under the eaves. Haven't seen many ants outside on the cabin and don't see them inside at all. We have those small brown ants, the red bitting ants and the giant black ants along with a couple of flying varieties here.

I don't know if Borax would have any affect on those near you but it can't hurt anything, is environmentally neutral and other bugs (including termites etc) do not like borax which will kill them if they ingest it. One good thing is that Borax Powder is cheap ! so it's a minimal cost experiment to see if it will work and if it does then your ahead of the game.

Hope it helps,
Good Luck.

ILFE
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:09

Quoting: Steve_S
Only those who have not suffered such an attack think it's funny... Luckily they are not fire ants or worse ! (I have scars from them).

It was a bit funny, picturing the Mexican Hat Dance. However, I am not without experience here, although indirectly.

When my eldest son was a little one, my best friend and I were outside cutting and splitting firewood to sell. My boy was outside with us, playing. I took my eyes off him for a minute, and he sat down on the ground unbeknownst to me, on a fire ant hill. A few seconds later he was screaming at the top of his lungs. I rushed him into his ma-ma's house (my mother), where she sorted the little guy out before I could even think what to do. I felt like a jerk for the longest, after that event.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.