Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Question for Ohio folks - Sewage and Grey Water
BigGloves
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 15:30

Afternoon Folks,

I'm soon to be in the market for some recreational property in Ohio upon which to build a small weekend cabin; Probably in the Ross or Vinton county areas. In doing some research, it appears Ohio has some draconian laws regarding sewage and grey water treatment and management.

I'm curious as to what solutions the folks here have come up with for dealing with sewage and grey water. That really seems to be the biggest hurdle with regard to cabins here.

My cabin will be weekend-use only, and will not be heated nor have electricity when I'm not there; although, I do plan to use it in all four seasons.

Thanks!

DaveBell
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 17:41

What does the Ross or Vinton county require. If you get caught violating these regulations, you could be in for steep fines and the cost of replacing.

Smawgunner
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 17:45

I’m in Athens. I have basically an RV system in ours with hot water tank and rain barrels. The water drains down a hill. It’s not that dirty....from showers and kitchen sink. I have a home made composting toilet inside and it works like a charm! I empty the bin about once a year. It has a urine diverter that also drains down the hill. As infrequent as we use it, it’s not an issue. Obviously it’s not been inspected but no one comes out to look.are you needing an inspection before you start?

BigGloves
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 18:50 - Edited by: BigGloves

DaveBell

Just to be clear, I'm not attempting to skirt any regulations, just hoping to find folks with experience in the area that might have already found some reasonably priced, winter-proof options that comply with local regulations (short of installing a complete septic system).

As far as what's required, what little information I've found online is about as clear as the contents of a septic system.

Mike 870
# Posted: 29 Oct 2017 20:02

We fly under the radar, our place is small, and a half mile off of any road into the woods.

DaveBell
# Posted: 30 Oct 2017 00:12

http://rosscountyhealth.org/environmental/

http://www.rosscountyhealth.com/SewagePermit2015.pdf

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3701-29

Seems clear to me.

buckybuck
# Posted: 31 Oct 2017 15:05

I bet I'm the only person here who has a weekend cabin in Vinton County AND was a Ross County health inspector, albeit that was a number of years ago.

My advice is keep it simple and don't go looking for trouble. The handful of people there responsible for public health have bigger fish to fry than us weekend cabin folks. If you incinerate, compost, or haul out the nasty stuff, nobody is going to hassle you about a little grey water from the kitchen or shower being used to water the plants.

Mike 870
# Posted: 1 Nov 2017 08:37

I've been told basically the same thing by, well, we'll just say connected people in my county.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 2 Nov 2017 14:48

If you call Vinton county, they'll tell you what you need to know. IIRC, they don't have much in the way of inspection except for septic systems. No old style outhouses allowed.

We have a porta-potty. Vinton County's A2Z Sanitation charges us $25 per service. We use biodegradable soap which minimizes gray-water issues.

SE Ohio

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.