Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Burning wet brush
BadgersHollow
# Posted: 23 Nov 2017 14:26

My land is near Crater Lake, Oregon. It is well timbered, with a ton of downed and decaying brush. I have an area that would make a decent little clearing, if I could get rid of all the crud on the ground. We are talking half rotten trees, anywhere from 6 to 18 inches around. And, branches of course. It would take 3 years of brush pile burning. Just wondering if anyone has tried clearing by fire this time of year. We've had a couple snow storms (but it was just slush last weekend when I was there). The ground is damp. I burned some good piles right before the rain came in November - timed it just right. I would have assumed it would be too late to burn now. But, the Oregon Department of Forestry has some prescribed burns going right now near Sunriver that have been going well for the last 4 days. Any good ideas and not too ecologically irresponsible for getting a burn going in wet conditions? I loath burning (takes too much attention, time, and monitoring when conditions are just right). But big boy chipper shredders are too expensive.

Gary O
# Posted: 23 Nov 2017 21:36

We had three huge brush piles the first year
A foot of snow
Still a bother

Now
Now we just burn in small piles
Diesel/gas…50/50

Pile it, tarp it now
Wait for the snow, a foot or two
Set out a chair
And a good book
A snow shovel
Tend it

We have kept all pine needles and tiny twigs on the forest floor
No regrets

we cut up the larger limbs and pile them for winter, wood stove, burns out the creosote

Wind (like this morning) is the enemy, any season

Come by if you want
Let us know ahead, we’ll put a fresh pot of java on

garyodan@msn.com

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 23 Nov 2017 22:25

Thanks Gary, yeah it is a big pain but probably no way around it. I don't mind the needles either. Its just a ton of blow down that is in my way and will take a decade to process.

There was that little fire just north of your area that ripped thru a few years back. I see someone has slowly started to take down the standing dead timber in there. Not sure if that was a lightning strike or a burn that got out of control.

I'll swing by one day. I definitely drove through that area a few years back. That day, it seemed like there was a deer sitting underneath every tree. More deer on the marsh side of the road, I think.

Gary O
# Posted: 24 Nov 2017 00:33

Quoting: BadgersHollow
Not sure if that was a lightning strike or a burn that got out of control.

The big one was started by a meth lab 'technician'

Quoting: BadgersHollow
That day, it seemed like there was a deer sitting underneath every tree

prolly during the migration
97 is nuts with guts during that time
not rare to see yotes dining on the roadside, midday

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.