Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Framing around fireplace slab and hearth advise needed
ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 19 Dec 2017 14:15 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

I need to downsize and put my primary home on market in the spring so I'm making improvements and hit a problem with my fireplace. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I removed the ugly cracked and broken tiles that was the hearth. Under the tiles were a couple of inches of light weight mortar mix or cement on top of the slab. There is also a 2 1/2" gap around the slab that was filled with cement mix.

When all cement was removed a 2 1/2" strip of sub floor was exposed on one side which had been covered by tile. The other side had (2) 2x's attached to the framing that had sub floor on it. Now these two pieces are at sub floor height but no sub floor attached to them.

I think a mistake was made during construction and this is how they resolved it but I don't know. I'm not familiar with how this would be framed and constructed and can't find any pics online to show me. There are other issues too, but I would like to find a solution for this first.

The slab is 18x64x4" and is running downhill 1/2" front back to front and has approximately 2 1/2" gap around it.

I'm thinking about casting a cement hearth like how a cement counter top is made for my new hearth. I think this would make the fit perfect if framing is not perfectly square and I could ease or round over the top edges so the edges could be 1/4" above the hardwood floor. I'm thinking minimum 1" to max 2" thickness. It'll be just me and my son so I'm concerned about the weight moving it in place and want a one piece hearth.

This is how i'm thinking about going about this.

Build a temporary frame around the slab to raise and level the slab with cement to the height needed.

Remove frame and fill in the gap around the 3 sides to the height of the slab.

Have a piece of hardwood to add on each side and install after slab is in place.

Cast and install slab.

I hope you can understand what I'm saying with the help of the pictures.
Tiled Hearth
Tiled Hearth
Tile removed
Tile removed
2 1/2" gap around framing
2 1/2" gap around framing
slab running downhill 1/2"
slab running downhill 1/2"

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 19 Dec 2017 14:22 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

A couple of more pics. Notice the brick extends beyond the slab. The front of fireplace measures 70" while the slab is 64" wide.
Tile
Tile
added 2x's to one side
added 2x's to one side
gap and sub floor other side
gap and sub floor other side

rockies
# Posted: 19 Dec 2017 18:49

There are code requirements for the width, length and depth of the hearth. For example, many codes do not consider tiles placed on top of the subfloor to be an adequate protection from fire since the heat can radiate through and set the subfloor on fire.

Check with your state's building code. if you are selling the house and a future fire is deemed to be because of your work (not up to code) you may be liable.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 19 Dec 2017 21:08

We did something like what you are describing. Check out our video if your interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip31Z2Znks4

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 26 Mar 2018 20:26 - Edited by: ChuckDynasty

Quoting: Ontario lakeside
We did something like what you are describing. Check out our video if your interested.

Yeah I watch your vids, thanks. I cast it in three pieces. I used about 3/4 of an 80 pound bag of sakrete 5000 plus per section. Divided a box of sakrete charcoal cement color in three and got decent color. Debating now if i want to polish/grind it down to the aggregate. The fit is great, just how I wanted it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.