Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / General Forum / Radio link
Atlincabin
# Posted: 6 Feb 2018 19:50

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a system where I can use a radio link between two buildings (4 miles apart, but line-of-sight) to turn on and off a switch. The radio in one of the buildings will be solar powered, so needs to use minimum electricity since it would be on (ready to receive) 24/7.

Thanks in advance.

creeky
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 12:26

this will be interesting.

Can you find/build a wifi or zigbee network with a point to point?

I think the new zwave standard is supposed to have pretty good travel distance. Not sure about miles tho.

I monitor my camp via wifi when away. Zigbee at the camp. I can turn on and off stuff even hundreds of miles away. I have cameras (2 very flaky; one works steadily).

Depending on where you are. A cheap phone plan, an old smart phone, and a couple of wifi switches should do it. You'd need a small battery and solar panel to keep the battery charged. ? dcV to 5v dc usb devices are cheap now. (? = I just bought a bunch 8-52v dc to 5v usb, 3a max.)

dsmith14469
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 15:02

I think creeky has the best option of using a cell phone to generate a WiFi network for control.

I suppose you could also go old fashion and use a set of portable hand radios and create an old style modem type system for linkage but I think that would be tougher.

ColdFlame
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 15:31

Similar to Creeky, I'd think a lower end Point to Point (PTP) system (or wireless bridge if you will) would work best. Ubiquiti or Cambium have plenty of options, some very expensive, some very reasonable. You can find them used on eBay all day long as well. These systems will easily do 6+ miles if you have clear line of sight.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKPCGH8

or:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-PBE-M5-400-2-pack-PowerBeam-AirMAX/dp/B00UZ03UUW

Depends on your budget, but these options give you both sides of the link. You'd still need to figure out the end device which is going to flip your switch on and off, but you could probably do that with a raspberry pi in some method???

rockies
# Posted: 7 Feb 2018 18:06

What is the switch turning on and off? A generator? Well pump? There might be options available from the manufacturer.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 8 Feb 2018 23:39

Thanks for the replies. Turning on a small resistance heater on an airplane. Need to turn it on occasionally (maybe once a week in winter) for a couple hours to preheat the plane. Alternative is driving over there to turn on and off, which isn't far, but I would prefer to be able to do it without driving. I have used the ubiquity at my cabin and easily get 8 miles out of it (it's not mine, belongs to the local internet provider). I'll do a bit more searching and look at the links when I get back to a regular internet connection.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.